ATI Powercone 200iS

I am so stoked about this skimmer I had to start a thread on it. I was looking for a lower height skimmer as I have a lower height stand and this fits the bill perfectly. Overall height is only 21", collection cup comes off easily, and I might actually have room for a Swabbie now! I really like the idea of the self-adjusting air flow regulator so I don't I have to jack with the settings. The wife found this article, which I thought was pretty cool:

http://blog.aquanerd.com/2012/10/ati-powercone-finalized-and-shipping-to-us-customers.html?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=ati-powercone-finalized-and-shipping-to-us-customers

She didn't actually read the article so here's the wife's ad-libbed version of the article as I was reading it to her:

"After two years of waiting [(for Mike to get his upgraded tank)], the ATI PowerCone has finally arrived [(at Mike's house)]. We caught up with a rep from Clear Choice Distributors, the North American distributor of ATI Aquaristik products, who told us that the long awaited protein skimmer is currently shipping to retailers nationwide [(after one was delivered to Mike at MACNA)]. This claim is also demonstrated by the fact that ATI was giving away a PowerCone 200iS as a raffle prize [(after much pleading by the DFW MACNA Crew)]. The rep walked us through the new changes that have been made to the skimmer [(as requested by Mike)] just prior to unleashing onto the American marine aquarium scene [(and, more importantly, a local DFWMAS member)], and he gave us a quick rundown on all of the reasons why the skimmer was delayed for so long [(mainly due to Mike not knowing his plumbing setup and stand height)]. Thankfully, those delays are behind us and the PowerCone has gained a ton of features that will make it a very strong competitor in the protein skimmer market [(and Mike's budget as he considers getting another one)].

ATI PowerCone 200i Pump

In terms of changes made to the PowerCone, the most recent are centered around the heart and soul of the skimmer [(and Mike's tank)], the gridwheel pump. The big update coming to the pump is in the venturi apparatus. While the venturi still draws in air through its center and water from the exterior like its predecessor, ATI has opened up the intake a little bit so that it can draw more of the two into the pump [(so that Mike can try to flood the house even faster for the 10th time)]. From what we hear, one of the biggest complaints overseas was that the pump wasn’t drawing in the amount of air that was promised, so ATI went back to the drawing board to make it happen. Other updates to the PowerCone include a digital air flow meter and a controllable DC pump that has a soft start feature and several others that protect the pump from running while clogged or damaged [(as we all know Mike has a tendency to mess things up)]. Since the PowerCone’s inception, the skimmer body has seen very little change, if any.

ATI PowerCone Gridwheel Impeller

While we were chatting with the Clear Choice rep, we found out that the controllable pump was a bit of an afterthought [(but insisted upon due to cool gizwidget factor)]. ATI didn’t anticipate users would turn the skimmer off and on as frequently a they were [(because folks like Mike need to clean floods by power cords)], so the original PowerCone pump didn’t have anything fancy other than the gridwheel impeller and unique venturi. But after tons of feedback from European hobbyists, ATI decided to go with the controllable DC pump because it has a soft start feature, among many others of course. This feature prevents the gridwheel impeller and the pump from getting damaged during startup, so it was obviously an important update for ATI to implement. Unfortunately, it also pushed back production [(as they had to make sure Mike would get one at MACNA)] as ATI had to retool the skimmer to accommodate this new pump, and they made sure hobbyists would get the most out its controllability.

But now all of those delays are behind us, and ATI has a finished product that is far better than the original."

Yeah, I did too. I needed a new skimmer badly. I think I put over 150 in there. I was surprised that bucket didn't get more attention as there were not a lot in there whenever I stopped to look and drop in more. I just saw a skimmer with a ton of gadgets and did a little research. Once I knew what it was, game on!

i like the design my only question is the grid wheel impeller, if you have any prior history with mesh modding impellers you will know that stuff collects in mesh and reduces the air bubbles over time. that is my only question in regards to this skimmer.

No experience with mesh modded impellers. Any suggestions to help on this front? I am not running filter socks so would putting a filter sponge or filter floss over the water intake area help?

I dunno Saj was interested in the skimmer also till I showed him the impeller and to take the pump apart to get to the impeller you need remove I think 4 screws.

I would run filter socks prob keep junk out of the sump and I would vacuum the sump every once in awhile and check the impeller too see if it is clogged every once in awhile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll take a closer look and see what I can fit on there as I really don't want to deal with cleaning or replacing filter socks but I will clean out the sump when I do the water changes. What's the best way to clean one of those impellers and how often should one go about doing that?

Congrats on the win! Definitely use a filter sock. I asked the rep if there were impeller clogging issues. He stated no. I asked him why the delays. He stated there were pump issues when converting from Europe to US power. Let us know your experience. I was really impressed with the new ATI T5 led fixture.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Thanks, I actually got it up and running last night and this morning it was already pulling stuff without a prior break-in cleaning. I'll have to figure out how to best add a filter sock to my setup and I may just look for ones I can toss.

This skimmer is quiet and produces a ton of small bubbles. My MP40's are now the loudest thing on my tank, by a long stretch, so I may do the MP40 bearing mod to take care of that. I love how it is is a lower height and how easily the cup comes off for cleaning. I'll get some pictures up in my build thread too. The one thing I think they could possibly improve on would be a drain option for the collection cup but that is easy enough to drill, tap, and thread.

I'm also going to check and see if they have spare pumps and impellers for sale as I always like to have backups for all my equipment regardless of how reliable it is supposed to be.

@MBSL55 wrote:
I'll take a closer look and see what I can fit on there as I really don't want to deal with cleaning or replacing filter socks but I will clean out the sump when I do the water changes. What's the best way to clean one of those impellers and how often should one go about doing that? said:
n

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

@MBSL55 wrote:
Thanks said:
I use the Mesh socks from BRS. It takes me 60 seconds twice a week. I swap the dirty sock for my clean one, take the dirty one over to the sink and rinse it out, then hang it up to dry. I have a felt one too but it is a PITA to clean, so now I stick with the mesh and just use the felt one for rinsing out carbon.

I was just thinking the same thing and looking at the BRS site. I think I'll just tie a mesh sock to the drain line after putting on a lock ring to hold the sock in place and maybe dump some filter floss in the bag. Then I can just do the swap like you mentioned and also just replace the filter floss.