How do you clean the glass on your large tank?

So a little 2" x 2" or so algae cleaning pad just doesn't seem to cut it anymore. What do those of you with large tanks use for cleaning your glass? I know some go with a credit card but I was wondering if anyone is using something with a larger cleaning area for the daily algae buildup.

I was thinking Mr. Clean Magic Eraser if it is safe to use on Starphire.

i use the kent scraper on my 120 and it goes pretty fast, but i dont have starfire. The guys who make the flipper said they have a larger one in the works. the mr clean, ime, is good for super tough patches but not practical for large areas.

I picked up 2 Flippers yesterday and LOVE them. If they have a bigger one coming, I would just wait for them. You might email them and offer to be a beta user.

Yeah, they put me on the beta list already as their current one doesn't do 3/4" glass but they said it will be a few months before it comes out. I'm using the scraper with a plastic blade right now.

I use Magic Eraser, but I don't have Starfire. Make sure you get the 'Original' one. IMO it seems the algea doesn't build up as quick as a scrubber. and use a scraper for stubborn spots/Coraline.
Check this link, people seem to NOT have trouble with starfire
http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/advanced-reefs/120053-mr-clean-magic-eraser-pads-reef-safe-2.html

@pjracer wrote:
I just ordered 2 flippers. 14 each. I really need the scraper portion said:
14 each? Where did you get that deal? They are normally 39.99 and I paid 30 each at MACNA. [smilie=crying.gif]

Might give the magic eraser a shot and see if Marc can build me a holder with a handle on it.

What about using pads of filter floss? Seems like that might work too.

magnavore 6 er to clean algae off, and easy blade on a mag float on tough corraline algae

@pjracer wrote:
I just ordered 2 flippers. 14 each. I really need the scraper portion said:
not the same as the ones sold at macna

http://www.flippercleaner.com/

Thanks for the additional ideas. Might give that Magnavore a try or one of those Mighty Magnets. Nothing in this hobby seems to be cheap and I've just come to expect and accept that a couple of magnets with pads on them will cost me over $100. A year ago I would have said someone was on crack for spending that much on something like this . . . these days, not so much.

Yeah, reef and cheap aren't exactly friends of the same language generally lol. They do make diff/removeable pads for them so they're def worth the $.

I use the Great White magnet cleaner on my 3/4" glass. Gets 80% of the crud on the first pass and the remaining 20% on the 2nd pass. Have to put some elbow grease into it, but makes for a nice workout while cleaning a large front and back glass pane!

I have tried putting the Mr Clean pad in between but with thicker glass it doesn't hold very well.

mike if you want to try the magnavore before you buy it i can bring to the next meeting..just send me a pm to remind me

Thanks Pampee. Just bring it over this weekend when you come to get the scallop :) I still need to get that MP40 wetside from you.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

I use the floating ones (wet side) that look like wood (dry side). Piranha, Hammerhead, Great White - each one is rated for a specific glass thickness. If you want to use the Magic Eraser pad, cut it very thin with a knife or razor blade and insert that 1/8" to 1/4" thick piece of white pad between the glass and the wetside.

That is the day to day cleaner. Once a week, I'll hit everything with a credit card. Once every two months, I have a Mag Float with a scraper that holds a brand new razor blade to work all the corners and along the sand. I'm very very careful, and as soon as I'm done I pull it out rinse off the razor blade, rub it down with cooking oil and wrap it up until next time. I only use the razor blade once or twice, and replace it with a new one thereafter. I got it from Fish2omorow. Avoid relying on metal scrapers in your Starphire glass tank, and take your time, checking the pad frequently to make sure nothing is trapped. Sand, bits of coral, snails, asterinas... make sure that velcro is clear of anything foreign matter.