AI Director Beta Goodness

I finally had a chance to pick-up my AI Director for beta testing on Friday. Reefbuilders has an article with pictures here: http://reefbuilders.com/2013/03/02/ai-director/
The article mentions the Director does not come with the wireless thingie but mine had it so that may be standard when the official release happens. Otherwise, it looks just like what is shown. The top of the Director is one big button with a LED in the middle that changes intensity, flashes, or changes color depending on what it is doing.

Setup was AMAZINGLY easy!!! This is coming from a non-techie guy that can barely find his way around a computer. All I had to do was press the the big button, go press the WPS button on my router and it was connected to where I could access the Director over my home network. I then registered for an account at my.aquaillumination.com and then had internet access to control and program my Director. That's it! All of that literally took less than 5 minutes on the first try! I also reset the Director to try connecting via other methods which worked just fine and took very little time.

The interface is a GUI where you can drag and drop things like the placement of your lights, group them to do different things, and change your ramps and other settings. Manual mode gives you a spectrograph to see how changes would affect spectral output and the Director automatically recognizes the configuration of your lights (i.e. what color LEDs are installed where) and you can click on a fixture icon to pull up status like temperature, whether the fan is running, and it even gives you the serial number of the fixture. If you had a chance to try out their software at MACNA last year it is pretty much the same interface.

They are still working on bugs and suggestions that folks like me are reporting but they are addressing things VERY quickly as the firmware was updated even just this evening. Speaking of firmware updates, the firmware automatically updates as long as it is connected to the internet and checks for updates every hour or so from what I understand. That takes away the hassle of having to download and install the latest firmware version and try to keep up with that. Simple!

If you guys are running AI lights that connect wirelessly (Vega, Hydra, Sol to Vega/Hydra Upgrade, or Sol with wireless module) I would seriously consider getting one of these puppies when they come out.

I was wondering if you got one when you posted you were interested in beta testing. I suggest that once you connect to the internet you leave it alone for a couple of hours so that it will get the latest firmware updated to it before you try to play with any settings.

AI Customer service is Awesome. I emailed them over the weekend and they responded in the morning on the first business day. Come to find out it was not clear in the directions(operator error). I was trying to hook the director through Ethernet cable, but I left the wireless adapter also plugged in. The wireless connector takes priority over the director. I unplugged it and I was connected in two seconds. The director is nice. Right now it's like a basic car, but there is lots of room for upgrades and modifications.

Glad to hear you got it worked out and that they took care of you. Mine has been running well for close to a week now. They should have a major update soon to take care of reported bugs and requests for features.

Yeah but functional stability is good compared to what the first week was like. There were some other bugs that required a reset and reprogram every time which could be time consuming when you have to reset all your lights, controller, and then start over again. They fixed those pretty quickly though and even did updates over the weekend and late evenings. They are definitely working around the clock on it so I have high hopes for the next update.

They've pushed the new update to the Director when I just logged-in and checked. I'll see if I have time to mess with it tonight and see what's been changed. If you click on the "AI" logo when you log in you should see the following for version information:

ai-controller : 1.0.249-r0
ai-director : 1.0.2-r2
ai-log : 1.0.21-r0
ai-monitor : 1.0.14-r1
ai-serial-number-fetcher : 1.0.13-r0
ai-serial-server : 1.0.53-r0
ai-tunnel : 1.0.108-r0
ai-web-root : 1.0.30-r9
ai-web-server : 1.0.333-r0

I would try the cloud and lightning effects to see if they work now. Also the quick preview feature may work now along with more advanced features like assigning lights to different groups, saving/deleting presets, saving/deleting ramp profiles, and fading levels across fixtures. I might be able to get to it later too but the prior version had issues with the above.

Major firmware update happened tonight. Interface has been changed-up quite a bit. Haven't had a chance to look at all the new features but a spectrographometerthingie is part of the manual control section now.

@Mike wrote:
Major firmware update happened tonight. Interface has been changed-up quite a bit. Haven't had a chance to look at all the new features but a spectrographometerthingie is part of the manual control section now. said:
Wow! I like this upgrade. I like how the "spectrographometerthingie" [smilie=lol.gif] works during the Play feature for the lights. I will be able to get my lights to match what most people call "Acceptable" spectrum throughout the day

It is also less glitchy

This update added Weather, but I don't think it is ready. I set everything up, City, color intensities, Etc., click done, the click save and the weather option goes from "On" to "off", I did it multiple times without success

I haven't tried the weather function yet but everything else seems to be coming along nicely. They added WEP compatability again so I was finally able to get back to to connecting wirelessly. I also noticed the Vega fixture firmware got upgraded.