How many Tangs can I keep in a 260?

Yes, the dreaded question that I just have to ask. Dimensions on the tank are 84.5 x 30 x 24 with pretty open rock work. Current residents include what I consider a medium size Purple Tang and a medium sized Blue Hippo Tang. There is also a pair of clowns, a Royal Gramma that keeps to himself, and a medium sized goby.

I know the ultimate answer is going to depend on what type of tangs and personality but I wanted to get some feedback on what others have experienced. The four I have in QT, as best I can tell due to them being juveniles, are:

2 x Caribbean Blue
1 x Purple
1 x ??? (body shape is like a Naso or Power Blue)

I do not want to add the juveniles and then have them outgrow the setup and start getting into fights, especially with the existing tangs that are much larger than they are. Assuming everyone makes it through QT okay, I was going to add them at night, all at once, after the tank had been well fed. Still a few weeks away from this happening so I've got some time to figure out what to do.

I should add that no one is going to offend me or hurt my feelings if they say I'm on crack for even thinking about it. I've seen some ugly threads where people get all offended for some reason. I'm looking for honest opinions as to what will be best in the long run. I do not plan on adding any other fish . . . except maybe a Black Tang if I ever find a deal on one [smilie=wink.gif]

That's great dimensions on a tank. In my 300dd (72x36 footprint) I've got the following 5 tangs:

Fowleri 7"
Maculiceps 7"
Australian Dussumieri 6"
Lieutenant 6"
Hippo 5"

Of that group the Duss and Lieutenant tangs are the most aggresive. They've all been together for at least a year, with no permanent damage, but there is the occasional cut. I also have a very open swimming area as well, but would have to admit I probably need to get rid of at least one of them, possibly 2. However, other than the Hippo, all the others are very similar in body type and that probably leads to most of the aggresion, as well as them all being similar in size. At some point I'll probably try to catch the Duss and Lt. and let them go.

With that said, I've seen several people keep 5 or 6 long term in tanks your size with no problem. So with the right mix of tangs, I don't think you'd have to worry. 2 Purples or the Purple and PB together, might be trouble. [smilie=smile.gif] Both can be aggresive. Hippo and Naso no problems, from my experiences. No experience with the Caribbean Blues.

I have no feedback on your question except to say an Achilles would look awesome in that tank! :)

Easily 4-5 tangs, the two you currently have plus an Achilles would look incredible w/ a powder brown or powder blue! I would do 4 tangs in that good nice set-up! Go for it!

Tangwise:grin:
I have the following in my 210

6" orange shoulder
5" powder blue
4-5" blonde Naso
4-5" purple tang
4-5" regal
3" kole tang
3" mimic lemon peel
3" clown tang

Everybody gets along for the most part. Only real fighting is my powder blue chases my foxface regularly.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Thanks guys! I appreciate the range of responses and suggestions. I was figuring a second Purple would be a bad idea no matter what as much as I would love to have two of them so assuming that's what it is, I'll have to adopt him out. It seems even those who have multiple tangs do not keep more than one of the exact same type together. I'll keep an eye on the Caribbean Blues and see how they act and make sure both are in fact Caribbean blues as well since they have some different color from each other.

The Achilles Tang looks awesome but I've read they are kind of like the Power Blue in that their survival rates are not very good and that they are very prone to getting ich. Still, an amazing looking fish. Anyone know of a local store that's had one for a while, say maybe a month or longer in their tank?

@MBSL55 wrote:
I'll keep an eye on the Caribbean Blues and see how they act and make sure both are in fact Caribbean blues as well since they have some different color from each other. said:
Any pictures? Do either of them have black spots at the base of the dorsal and anal fins? I didn't look really closely at them, but they reminded me of my TwoSpot Bristletooth, with the yellow fins and tail, and the blue eye and dorsal fin edge.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+43+2628&pcatid=2628

No black spots that I can see on them. I'll try to take pictures when I get home tonight so that I can get some input on positive ID for these guys.

I would like some advices on more tangs also, please. I have 3 tangs in my 210 gallon with corals that introduced at the same time. Yellow, blue, and blonde naso. What other tangs could I put in without any problems.

about two months ago, I put in a juvenile, and a flame angels in the tank. They both didn't really eat and died. My tangs don't really care so much about the angels.

Thanks