Dissecting an AI Vega - Puck Swap!

So it seems no one has decided to take apart and mess with their brand spanking new $500 fixture yet so I figured I go ahead and do it. [smilie=surprised.gif]

If you have taken apart an AI Sol before this is very similar.

First, you want to remove the four T15 torx screws:
[attachment=2]IMG_0217.JPG[/attachment]

Then, gently massage the cover off around the power port, button, and status LED:
[attachment=1]IMG_0218.JPG[/attachment]

Remove the power distribution/wireless receiver board:
[attachment=0]IMG_0219.JPG[/attachment]

Remove the driver board (they all appear to be the same):
[attachment=2]IMG_0220.JPG[/attachment]

Remove the 4 torx T10 screws holding down each LED puck:
[attachment=1]IMG_0221.JPG[/attachment]

Assembly is in reverse order, just install the lenses before installing the cover back on. With a swap of a couple of LED pucks, you can have an AI Vega Super Color with 4 red and 4 green LED's:
[attachment=0]IMG_0222.JPG[/attachment]

I went ahead and put the two fixtures back in stock configuration as I figured I'd run them as is first but I may move the red/green LED pucks to the outside positions for better coverage of the red/green LED pucks. Took about 25 minutes to return both fixtures to stock configuration and get them back over my tank. Easy as pie!

Thanks Ron, hopefully this will help people considering this light as I'm guessing folks would want to know how easy/hard it is to change out actual LED's given that AI has touted custom LED options.

It doesn't look possible from the pics, but do you think that a puck could be rotated? I'd like to rotate the two pucks in the middle on the display models at the store but hadn't gotten the time to crack them open yet.

Your assumption is correct. With the way the pucks attach to the drivers you and then connect to the mainboard rotating the pucks is not possible.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2