Search results

1. K

STOCKING A 75 GALLON FOWLR- IDEAS?

Hey folks, I've grown bored of my 24 gallon and the coral care. I feel like I am constantly monitoring and addressing potential issues. It has caused me to want to change to something Iv'e never done: a FOWLR tank. I only have room for a 75 gallon tank, so there will be no huge tangs or angels...
  2. K

MOUNTING ECOXOTIC STUNNERS

Hey folks, my reef features a 6X24w ATI fixture hanging from the ceiling with no canopy. I need to mount 2 12" Ecoxotic stunners on/around this somehow. I'm lost on what to do/where to mount them. I can stick them parallel under one of the T5 bulbs on the splash shield, but I'm afraid this would...
  3. K

My fish is changing!

As some of you may know, I've kept a Macropharyngodon Negrosensis (black leopard wrasse) for almost 3 years now. I'm very familiar with all the fish in this Genus as they are all born females, and 99% of the ones you see for sale are females. It seems my healthy girl is turning into a male! I've...
  4. K

ATI fixture issues, please help.

Hey folks. I am having an issue with my ATI 6x24w dimmable sunpower. The fans won't turn on, which throws the fixture into a safe mode that dims the fixture to keep the temperature down. I'll list everything I've done so far to try to be clear. 1) cleaned the fans with canned air. 2) hooked up a...
  5. K

Jebao RW-4

Hey folks, I would like to disable the night mode from ever coming on because of course I mount my controller under the stand. I have read the instructions and a couple threads on RC and it's not really mentioned anywhere that I can find. It seems like I'm supposed to hold the night button down...
  6. K

Labor Day overflow

Hey folks, I almost had an aquarium disaster just moments ago, and thought I'd share. My wife was nursing our infant son and I was using the toilet at the moment. I heard this loud "wet, sucking" sound and my wife says "that sounded like it came from the aquarium". I'm still on the toilet so I...
  7. K

Lighting and skimmer for a tank build.

Hey folks, I am currently building this tank : viewtopic.php?f=53&t=108524 and was going to go sans skimmer, but I got the itch for new toys. I want to run a skimmer but as I search online and through the marine depot catalog, I can't decide on anything for a tank this small. I either question...
  8. K

Kelly's deep dimension 24 gallon.

Hey folks, been awhile since I've shared since I sold my 58. I kept a few of my favorite fish in a 40 breeder QT and set up a 10 gallon in our guest room to house a few select corals I didn't want to lose. Well.... I got the itch for something new and didn't want something big since we are...
  9. K

New Fish

Hey folks, thought I'd share my new fish which is featured as the only fish in my 10 gallon reef. My others are housed in my 40b QT. It's a Geometric Pygmy Hawk that I got from a close friend. He's been in captivity for almost 3.5 years. He's certainly charming. Thanks for looking! alt=""> His...
  10. K

Help me choose...

Hey folks. I recently sold my tank but kept a few choice corals in a 10 gallon in our spare bedroom. I have a 12" Ecoxotic stunner in blue to accent the cheap 6500K CFL's I employed temporarily while I light shop. I want to replace the two 6500K CFLs with LEDs... Should I add to my current plug...
  11. K

Trochus Snails

Hey folks, does anyone happen to know if any LFS has these in stock? Please share your experience with these snails as well.
  12. K

Royal Gramma eating shrimp?

I've had my Royal Gramma for about three years. He's always been a model citizen. With an Aiptasia outbreak, I've bought upwards of 8 peppermint shrimp in the last six months and they keep disappearing. I thought for sure it was my Halichoeris Iridis, and got him a new home a couple weeks ago...
  13. K

Gramma Loreto consuming shrimp?

I've had my Royal Gramma for about three years. He's always been a model citizen. With an Aiptasia outbreak, I've bought upwards of 8 peppermint shrimp in the last six months and they keep disappearing. I thought for sure it was my Halichoeris Iridis, and got him a new home a couple weeks ago...
  14. K

New stand issues?

Hey folks, I have my new stand switched over and the water level in my display is about an inch too low for some reason. I have a Sicce return pump (I'm at work so I dont know the model right now) and the drain section of my sump is also low to the point of the water barely filling over the...
  15. K

Phosphates

Hey folks, I need some chemistry help... I dose MB7 and Vodka per the instructions on reefkeeping. My nitrates still hover around 5 on an API kit, which is fine for me, everything looks healthy. The problem is this darned hair algae. I don't have a phosphate test, but I've been entertaining the...
  16. K

Kelly's 58 Reef

Hey folks. I've been on this site since 2009 and have never "shared it all", in regard to a tank build. I thought it was time to finally document my tank with my fellow reefers. So, consider this thread a documentary, rather than a build thread. I started with a used 58 gallon oceanic tank when...
  17. K

Sand Sifter

Hey folks, I'm looking for suggestions on a sand sifting fish. It must be able to be kept long term. So let's hear 'em. First hand accounts would be great. I know there are several to choose from, but some apparently slowly starve to death, even if they're eating.
  18. K

Diatoms

Hey folks, I've had a small issue with diatoms and want some ideas. I've looked on here, reefcentral, reefkeeping, etc., but I just see a lot of "let it pass" or "it'll just go away with time". This is fair for a new tank, but mine is 4 years old... It is only on the sand bed. Nitrates sit at...
  19. K

What corals does your Centropyge pick at/consume?

Hey folks, I've wanted a Centropyge for a few years and have always held off and gone without. Of course it's due to their propensity to pick at/consume corals, which I love so very much. So please share with me what corals (if any) your Dwarf Angel likes to pick on or eat. Thanks folks!
  20. K

Sump Critter ID Please

Hey folks, if any of you know what this is, I'd love to know. It's the only one I've seen. This is an iPhone picture, so I apologize for not having the proper camera. alt=""> Thanks for looking!