Labor Day overflow

Hey folks, I almost had an aquarium disaster just moments ago, and thought I'd share.
My wife was nursing our infant son and I was using the toilet at the moment. I heard this loud "wet, sucking" sound and my wife says "that sounded like it came from the aquarium". I'm still on the toilet so I shouted, I'd check it out shortly.
She exclaims "it's about to overflow!!"", over the rim!" So I told her to unplug the master strip. ANY second further and we would have had water everywhere, she saved the day.
I finally get to put eyes on the situation and the sump runneth dry...
So I look at my durso and drain...

alt="">

I had this happen last year with a large star fish...trochus snail this time.

This happen to anyone else? What's the main method reefers combat this with?

I'm five years in to reefing and can STILL learn something new regularly so share your experiences here folks.
Thanks for looking!

There are covers that go on the drain to prevent this from happening. I am not sure what they are called but most lfs should have them

Get some gutter guard at lowes or homer d. Works great for keeping all sorts of critters out of the overflow.

I made some particle filters like you see in HOB overflows just get some thinner PVC to hold them upright.

Have more than one drain. I have 3, they main drain, the adjustable one, and the emergency. Redundancy is your best friend in this hobby :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk