Trochus Snails

Hey folks, does anyone happen to know if any LFS has these in stock?
Please share your experience with these snails as well.

wayne at custom reefs occasionally carries them. i got 6 in my 90g from a different source a while back and they're absolutely amazing at cleaning up algae in the tank, grazing mainly on the glass and rocks. what's also great about them is that they can upright themselves if flipped on the side.

@claynguyen1973 wrote:
So where can you buy these snails? Clay Arlington said:
Seems like they're readily available online. ORA has cultured Trochus, apparently they breed regularly.
I also read they come from warm water so they are longer lived in an aquarium than cool water snails such as Mexican turbos.
I'd love to find some locally.

Frank had some last week. I have them in both of my tanks. The other cool thing about them is that they reproduce. It makes your water cloudy while its happening, but goes away after 1/2 hour or so.

I used to like turbos.. but I literally come home seeing something knocked over every other night. It was ridiculous. Anyway, i feel cuc are not used as often nowadays anymore. If u need snails to control algae, then your sps probably aren't going to do well.

@1badbluehb wrote:
[I]@Kelly wrote:[/I][quote="Hey folks said:
Trochus are great snails. I use them in my frag tank."]
Thank you. I've read they are great, big appetite, can right themselves, fare well in warmer water, easily reproduce. I'm picking up some today hopefully.

I love trochus snails as well. They are very hardy and are fast movers/grazers. I have some that are over 2-3 yrs old in my tank and have gotten huge! Several online vendors also carry them. When I get other kinds of snails, they inevitably fall over and die.

Well folks I picked up a few of these yesterday. Theyr'e a nice change of scenery in regard to my inverts. Thanks for all the replies.

@Kelly wrote:
[I]@SushiGirl wrote:[/I][quote="Fish Paradise has them. said:
Nice, thank you. I'm a big fan of that store. Has anyone solicited them for sponsorship?"]

It's our favorite place, too. We asked him a couple years ago why he wasn't a sponsor, his concern was people doing group buys from online places rather than coming to stores. He did let us put a big stack of DFWMAS cards on his counter back then, though.

Reef remedies doesn't have them on them. But they do fish runs every Thursday and can pick the up dirt cheap. They are my favorite LFS. You should go check the out in Denton.

@Mikii wrote:
Reef remedies doesn't have them on them. But they do fish runs every Thursday and can pick the up dirt cheap. They are my favorite LFS. You should go check the out in Denton. said:
I'm a big fan of Alex and Reef Remedies. I shopped there when I lived in Denton for school. It's just too far to justify the drive now. Their dry goods prices can't be beat last I checked. [smilie=clapping.gif]