Phosphates

Hey folks, I need some chemistry help...
I dose MB7 and Vodka per the instructions on reefkeeping.
My nitrates still hover around 5 on an API kit, which is fine for me, everything looks healthy.
The problem is this darned hair algae. I don't have a phosphate test, but I've been entertaining the idea of GFO but I honestly don't feel like adding more equipment under my stand and I'm too inconsistent to buy GFO regularly.
I was thinking of adding chaeto and a light to the sump but have read conflicting info on whether or not chaeto will grow with vodka. Some say "yes, chaeto still grows like mad". Others claim it slowly dies off.
Anybody with experience, or a good link on the matter, please chime in.
I gotta nip this hair algae before it becomes too much to handle.

I run chaeto and dose bacteria 4x a week with bio pellets without any issues. My phosphate on a Hanna meter reads .02. I'm sure other experiences vary, but I have two systems that run this way with great results. I also run my lights 24/7.

Well I guess it can't hurt to try it. I'm picking some up tonight, I'm going to run it in the sump with the sump light on opposite the DT lights.

IME, carbon dosing is the easiest way to control N&P (assuming you skim and do reasonable maintenance). If it's not getting it down enough, then consider (slowly) increasing the dosage. Algae for N&P control is higher maintenance and overall less effective in my opinion. YMMV.

Also, more herbivores might be needed to keep N&P in a form that can be processed by bacteria.

3CA941B1-0DDE-445C-B922-2412906C6D92-2646-000002CB90A82CC6.jpg
alt="">

@Marc wrote:
New toys! said:
Indeed!
So the Hanna is showing 0.00 ppm from my tank, I don't buy it...
It reads 0.36 straight from the city of Weatherford out of the sink.
I really wish it would throw me a believable number....

I would trust that reading if that's what your getting. Mine stays at 0.00 or pretty close unless I am doing a ton of feeding or something goes wrong. The phosphate in your system may just be taken up by other things (i.e. the hair algae) and so it just shows undetectable even though there is some that is present.

Ok, I finally found free time to figure out how to calibrate this thing before I put the GFO on line.
Here's my first test:
D7C9A88F-F9B4-4371-855D-2EA528286948-694-00000059D0E09214.jpg
alt="">

This test is from the water coming out of the reactor. I can't wait to see the test in the morning.
F199A742-D2F4-48BF-9AE7-5C9DFF95F963-520-0000004DABC3A746.jpg
alt="">

Ok the output was running at .03, and the tank was at .03
I changed the media and will test again tomorrow.
I know good things happen slowly, I think I'm on the right track to being algae free for the first time in almost a year.
I'm not a fan of the Phosban GFO by TLF, it's too messy. I think I'm gonna go with BRS bulk GFO.

Have you tried slowing the flow down until you achieve zero ppm output? My issue was the same as yours thought the gfo was used up in a week, not the case at all. My gfo in the reactor has no discernable movement, but my phosphates are zero and algea is gone.

@Jhr911 wrote:
Have you tried slowing the flow down until you achieve zero ppm output? My issue was the same as yours thought the gfo was used up in a week said:
I had the output showing 0.00, but then it rose to 0.03 which is what the tank is sitting at now.