Search results

1. T

What to do with the new tank...

I was the lucky winner of a Red Sea Max 130D (34g) tank at TMAC. It is a pretty neat little tank but I am just not sure how to set it up. I would like to add a refugium below the tank by utilizing the "chiller" port on the back. The problem I see is with the siphon, no way to stop if the pump in...
  2. T

RK Elite

Anyone around here planning on pre-ordering or at some point getting this controller?
  3. T

ORP...?

ORP stands for Oxidation-Reduction Potential (I know that much)... My question is to those who currently are monitoring it or anyone that knows the answer...What does it actually indicate as far as our reef tanks are concerned? What does the actual measurement indicate and what does that lead...
  4. T

Macro in display...Update: No More!

When my tank stabilized, I got a lot of algae growth on the rocks. It has exploded exponentially, but in the form of macro's, and caulerpa's (for a general use of the term). I have added various asst of snails, but what "small" fish or other items will trim or should I say mow it down. Any...
  5. T

So much for the "artificial reef"...

Well, I gave it a shot. And in hindsight I know where I messed up. So with that... I saw that there were some people that were using great stuff foam, eggcrate, and such to build artificial reef rocks and walls. Most had added real rock to the structure to help weigh it down. Well, I decided to...
  6. T

Live Rock...

Where is a good place (online or not) to buy cured live rock? I am not particular as what kind (fiji, marshall, florida, etc) and I do not need much. maybe 25lbs. Any suggestions???
  7. T

lumenbright reflecter...how high off water?

How high should I mount the LB reflector above the tank? I searched the internet and couldn't find anything...albeit a short search! The tank is 24" deep. Any opinions, factoids or ideas???
  8. T

60g cube...should I remove the overflow box?

I picked up my 60g cube today...all was good and it looked good. The only problem was that I didn't order the overflow box and they installed one anyway. It takes up quite a bit of real estate so I am contemplating just removing it. Pretty simple, just cut the silicone. The pipes going to bulk...
  9. T

Need opinions on cabinet/stand...

Structurally speaking... I have a wetbar area that I will turn into my aquarium area. The cabinet that is there is about 20.5" in depth and 26" wide. The tank I am putting there will be 24" in depth. So I will have an overlap of 3.5" in the front. The countertop piece will be removed and I will...
  10. T

Need some opinions on equipment

I am planning on getting a 60g cube tank as this is the biggest that I can house in my new place. Also it will fit in an area that was once a wet bar absolutely perfectly, allowing me to use an ATO system easily (water line) and have a drain for overfows, etc. My question is in regards to...
  11. T

Red Sea Pro Salt and magnesium

This is a question for all of that use the Red Sea Pro Salt (ro/di mix). I seem to be testing very low for magnesium. And when I mean low, I am talking below 1000ppm. I am getting reading around 960 - 980. It took me a week to get my mag levels up to about 1400ppm. I made a fresh batch of salt...
  12. T

Dosing magnesium...how much/often

I need to raise my magnesium about 250 - 300ppm. How long should it take me to do this considering a 150g tank and 80g sump. A matter of a couple days or over a weeks time? My alkalinity will not stay at or above 7 (usually 6dkh when I test), which led me to test my magnesium levels (thanks...
  13. T

Need advice/opinions on tank cleanup

Some of you may have seen my post in the member for sale forum about shutting down the tank to clean (gha problem). I have 2 questions... Once I pull everything and clean, should I leave my sand bed alone or should I pull it out and start completely over? My idea was to leave it alone...not...
  14. T

Removing Colt from rock...a very large rack

Ronnie (goinincircles) has a massive (18"x18") Colt coral that he is trying to find a home for. The problem is the rock it is attached to is very large and he wants to keep it. So how can we pry the colt from the rock without damaging the coral? If it is too big for my tank, and I can't find a...
  15. T

MH Bulbs

Anyone ever hear of a brand called PLUS Lighting? If so, do you know the specs on the bulb?
  16. T

MH's and canopy...

I am installing a pair of 250w MH's in my canopy. Those will be the only lights. I do not have the reflectors yet (waiting on Jacob's sale!). My question is, do I need to put something on the wood above the lights in the meantime? Is that needed to prevent damage to the wood (wood is painted...
  17. T

pogonophoran worm

Anyone have any info on these little creatures. I googles it, but could not find the info I was looking for. Basically, are they "reef safe" or will they cause problems? I believe I have several of them in my tank, but have no idea where they came from...probably hitchhikers on live rock. This...
  18. T

QT tank...

Do any of you with QT's use substrate or rocks in the tank? I am finally setting one up and not sure if it is better to have a bare tank or if I should add a little sand and rocks. Just need to know what the best way to do this will be. Pros/Cons of either will help.
  19. T

Garf Grunge?

I ordered some earlier this year...I was not impressed. It is too "rocky" in my opinion. If you did get some, I would put it in the fug instead of main tank. I put some in both areas and am sorry I did, it just looks like crap in the display.
  20. T

Question about ASM G3 skimmer...

Does anyone know anything about or have some experience with these skimmers? I have read a little bit and I am concerned about the sedra pump that it comes with. Anyone used any mods on these (gate valve etc)?