Dosing magnesium...how much/often

I need to raise my magnesium about 250 - 300ppm. How long should it take me to do this considering a 150g tank and 80g sump. A matter of a couple days or over a weeks time?
My alkalinity will not stay at or above 7 (usually 6dkh when I test), which led me to test my magnesium levels (thanks Robert!). Calcium is around 420 - 440.
Also, should I drip kalk or concentrate on getting magnesium up first?

Thanks for any suggestions and help.

Give this calculator a try. It should tell you how much of a certain supplement you need to get to the desired level as well as weather or not it's safe to add all at once.

Depending on how much you end up needing, it may be best to dose 1/2 one day, then test and add the remainder the next. I would go ahead and drip kalk as it can't hurt (unless you mess up!).

Good luck!

Thanks Kevin...the calculator worked like a champ. It tells me to only increase by 100ppm per day, so I should be able to get the desired level in 2 or 3 days.

@tonymac wrote:
Thanks Kevin...the calculator worked like a champ. It tells me to only increase by 100ppm per day said:
No problem! I don't know where I'd be without that thing...I use it all the time. :D