Need opinions on cabinet/stand...

Structurally speaking...

I have a wetbar area that I will turn into my aquarium area. The cabinet that is there is about 20.5" in depth and 26" wide. The tank I am putting there will be 24" in depth. So I will have an overlap of 3.5" in the front. The countertop piece will be removed and I will reinforce the cabinet...my question is will that 3.5" overlap in front be ok without support directly below it? Does that make sense?

Isn't most the stress of a tank put on the outer edges of a stand anyways? That's where the rim usually sits, right?

I may not be visualizing your wet bar very well though.

You wouldn't need bottom to floor support, but something in there like a stylish lip or something. You could built that lip and support with straight braces or metal to carry the weight of the tank.

The edges DO support the weight on the tanks. While 3.5" probably is okay, it still may lead to some distortion or flexing on the tank that could weaken its integrity.

What are the demensions of the tank? Is this a glass tank? If so, what thickness of glass is it made from?

How can I drill granite to get the drain and return lines thru? The reason for the question is I would have to skin the 3" or 4" that will have to be added the will extend past the walls on both sides. I plan on using the cabinet face, with some slight mod's. Matching the cabinet will be a PITA!

As far as size, it is 24" cube and 1/2" glass.

@tonymac wrote:
How can I drill granite to get the drain and return lines thru? The reason for the question is I would have to skin the 3" or 4" that will have to be added the will extend past the walls on both sides. I plan on using the cabinet face said:
They have to have drill bits that will cut through granite, probably the same bits that they use to cut that glass.