Need some opinions on equipment

I am planning on getting a 60g cube tank as this is the biggest that I can house in my new place. Also it will fit in an area that was once a wet bar absolutely perfectly, allowing me to use an ATO system easily (water line) and have a drain for overfows, etc.

My question is in regards to lighting, skimmer, return pump, and sump. I really don't know what is a good skimmer for a 100g volume or less of water. I am assuming I can use a pump for both return and skimmer, but not sure what will work best (based on x skimmer). Sump size/design will be limited, but I want to make the most of the area (24x24 is max, might be able to get 2 or 3 inches in width though). I am planning on going with a SE 250w MH (12k or 10k reeflux) with a lumenbright reflector...not planning on using anything else b/c of space.
Also vertical space is adjustable from floor to ceiling (8ft). I will build a stand into current space. I really won't have a canopy, just a front door hiding light (wall on both sides and back).

Any ideas, opinions are much appreciated!!!

on my 60 cube i ran a euro reef cs 6-2 it worked great. i used a mag 7 as my return..

i used a bermuda sump... ms71171 has a 60 cube his sump was custom made for a 60 cube that uses every inch of the area underneath of his stand

I'd put an Euro-Reef RS-80 under the tank in the sump, and use a Mag 5 for the return pump. The best sump configuration I think would be the Model M you see on my site.

I have a 60g cube as well. It will be a SPS dominated tank, so I went with a BubbleMaster 160 for the skimmer and a soon to be downgraded OceanRunner 3500 (tomorrow my OceanRunner 2500 pump comes in). I will be using 100% T5s when the canopy is finished in a few weeks.

I bought a 40g cube from Glasscages for my sump. It's 24x24x17 and it fits like a glove in my stand.

Chris...did you create your own baffles, inside compartments in the 40g?

Marc...is the cube sump design any better than the model M? I have to measure the width of the area again (this weekend), may not have 26", just don't remember.

The mag 5 or 7 will work T'd for the return and skimmer? Guess I need to check gph on them...

The cube sump is a different layout that Glenn was (is?) using under a hex tank. The M allows you to view the refugium in the front.

No, I don't believe you could use one pump for both since one is venturi and the other better be bubble free.

Skimmer - I'd go with the euro-reef or a bermuda... Unless you want to drop some cash and go with the new mini-bubble kings.

@tonymac wrote:
Chris...did you create your own baffles said:
I have the glass to make some baffles, but I didn't end up using any. My sump is one big tank. I have my skimmer, heater, return pump and 2 media reactors in there. I utilize a filter sock to control the microbubbles.

Here is my tank thread. I need to take some pictures of the sump but I also need to clean up the wires, etc. I'll try and get you a picture this week before I leave.

Depending on what skimmer you go with, you may not need an extra pump. My BM 140 has a feed pump and most of the ERs have one as well. You could probably go with a Mag 5 but I would look at the Ehiem or Ocean Runner line instead. They are much quieter, more efficient and less heat transfer.

Thanks for the input. I have a lot to check out. Decisions, decisions...At least I have plenty of time to prepare!!! I will take some measurements on Saturday and that will give me an idea of sump size and equipment I can fit in the space...