ORP...?

ORP stands for Oxidation-Reduction Potential (I know that much)...

My question is to those who currently are monitoring it or anyone that knows the answer...What does it actually indicate as far as our reef tanks are concerned? What does the actual measurement indicate and what does that lead you to do or not do?

And last but not least...is an ORP probe actually worth the investment? Does it actually help?

If this needs to go to a different forum, feel free to move where it needs to go. THANKS...

@tonymac wrote:
ORP stands for Oxidation-Reduction Potential (I know that much)... My question is to those who currently are monitoring it or anyone that knows the answer...What does it actually indicate as far as our reef tanks are concerned? What does the actual measurement indicate and what does that lead you to do or not do? And last but not least...is an ORP probe actually worth the investment? Does it actually help? If this needs to go to a different forum said:
tonymac,

Here's a good write-up on ORP. http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-12/rhf/feature/index.php

Cheers,

The article Ron posted says it all really. ORP is a measure of the 'battle' between oxidizers and reducers in your tank. Controlling ORP isn't as important as monitoring it. A sudden drop in ORP can indicate decreased oxygen, something dying, or something spawning (among other things).

You really need an ORP monitoring system if you're planning on running ozone, as it's possible to overdose your tank.