Search results

1. D

Zoa nuke

Well, this week has not been good for my 150. It began well, with a great deal on a very juvenile Regal Angel, who did very well for a few days. Then, he was crushed by a hermit crab induced rock slide. [smilie=crying.gif] (which should not have happened, this dude really did his best and...
  2. D

2 jawfish gone blind

It seems that both of my yellowhead jawfish have gone blind. I had a pretty high nitrate spike in december, and I'm still sitting at about 60ppm. It's slowly going down, but the jawfish aren;t recovering. Neither responds to food on a stick, but will gulp at anything squirted their way...
  3. D

I have Jawfish babys!!!

I saw this motning that I ahve a bunch of Jawfish babys!!! 3 were out swimming around at lights on, and unfortunately were gobbled by my Chalk bass, but one of the parents is holding ther rest in their mouth! I keep trying to get a pic, but anytime I get close they retreat into the burrow...
  4. D

Something evil lurks in my tank

3 days ago I discovered my Emerald Crab clinging to the bottom of a ledge just above the sand. He had been dismembered, only having a single small claw and a single leg left on the same side. Somehow he keeps himself tight to the bottom of teh rock ledge. He has also been managing to eat and...
  5. D

Anyone upgraded their JBJ from PC to HQI?

I've been thinking of getting a new hood for my JBJ 24gal nano, but haven't really found anyone else that has done so. The only thing I've found was someone who used some conversion kit, rather than an all new hood, and their horror story of how it didn't all fit and the light overhung the side...
  6. D

Galaxia receding

I've got a 4" diameter Galaxia, and it was in perfect shape when I bought it. In 2 months, I've lost 7 polyps, and the flesh between the individuals has receded a great deal. I'm thinking that the PC lighting in my nano is not up to snuff for this coral (as all other levels check out). Or...
  7. D

6500k T5 observation

I recently put new Guisnam bulbs in my Nova Extrem 4 bulb T5 fixture, in a variety of spectrums. The only real difference from my previous set is taht I put in a 6500k inplace of a 10,000k bulb. There is a definite pinkness to the tank, rather than the bluer that it was, which I do not find...
  8. D

Mag-Flip= waste of money

I'm really disappointed with the Mag-Flip. The blade just doesn't do the duty, mostly due to the magnet not being strong enough and the plastic blade not being anywhere near sharp enough. The pair of "button spacers" on that side that keep teh body from dragging on the glass, as well as...
  9. D

AMAZING LIVE ROCK, I was very impressed!

Pretty sweet!
  10. D

Pretty juvie Atl. Blue Tang

My camera sucks, and he moves a lot, but... alt=""> This juvinile Atlantic Blue Tang is VERY bright, almost as pure yellow as my Yellow Tang. What doesn't show very well is the neon blue around his eyes and along the edges of his fins. He's a beaut! I'm hoping he keeps his yellow tail into...
  11. D

Time to trim the Purple Plume again...

The thing has been growing like crazy! alt=""> I think this time I may mount them to plugs and sell them.
  12. D

gutloading brine and mysis

So, for a while now i've been hatching mysis and brine, and feeding them both spirulina pellets and phyto plankton, befor efeeding them to my fish. I recently noticed that the brine I was "gutloading" with spirulina looked nothing like the frozen brine I buy that are "spirulina enriched"...
  13. D

Hippocampus zosterae and Flame Angels

A buddy of mine just called and asked if I could take his pair of Hippocampus zosterae (dwarfs). I do not have a seperate tank available, but I do have a nano with a pair of flame Angles, a Yellow Clown Goby, and an Antenna Goby. Would it be possible to have them in there for a week or two...
  14. D

DSB blacking along edges down deep

I've been noticing some growing black patches (as well as some orange ones) along the glass towards the middle and bottom of my DSB. Should I be worried?
  15. D

Harlequin Serpent Star attack

Lastnigth my Harlequin Serpent Star (who was tiny just 2 months ago but is now more than a hand span wide) attacked first my Red Mithrax crab, then tried to go after a Porcelin Crab. They fended him off, though it looks like one of his arms has a gash in it. He must have been very hungry...
  16. D

Are my Royal Grammas getting ready?

I jsut noticed this morning that my largest Royal Grama has built a "nest" out of vegetation in a large hole in my rockwork. There is a small entrance that he's fashioned, and all in all it looks just like a weaver birds nest, but stuffed in a hole. When I turned the lights on, he swam over...
  17. D

Sea Cucumbers and DSBs

Okay... I've been pondering getting a sea cucumber or two for sandbed duty. I've got a DSB of about 6"-8" in my 150, as well as some Jawfish. My concerns are that the the SCs will collapse the Jawfish holes, and perhaps further disturb the DSB more than the Jawfish already do. But, I need...
  18. D

Sponge or filter floss?

I've been pondering changing my filtration somewhat. At the moment, I have a sponge in my overflow to prevent bigger stuff going down teh drain to the sump, and a filter sock at the output. There is then another sponge between the "refugium' and the return pump. Should one, or some, of these...
  19. D

Silicone u/w

Is there a silicone that can be applied underwater that won't harm the fish or corals? It's a bit late in the game, but my overflow needs to be seated (the magnets I was using aren't working) and sealed, but I can't take the whole shebang down to do it...
  20. D

Fascinating color change behavior

I know that many fish change colors at various times, but I've never seen one do it as often or and quickly as this fish. I have a juvinille Atlantic Blue Tang, and he is by far the most color changing fish I've ever had! He's currently in the 'mid way' phase of color shift, where at his most...