I have Jawfish babys!!!

I saw this motning that I ahve a bunch of Jawfish babys!!! 3 were out swimming around at lights on, and unfortunately were gobbled by my Chalk bass, but one of the parents is holding ther rest in their mouth! I keep trying to get a pic, but anytime I get close they retreat into the burrow.

Oddly, from what I've read they parents are supposed to house together at this time, but they are currently in seperate burrows.

I don't hold out much hope of any surviving, as it's only a 150, and I have no way of seperating or removing them.

But you never know!

It appears they have all been gobbled up. I see none in the parents mouths, nor in their burrows. Hopefully they're just hiding, but I'm starting to doubt it, as they aren't even really defending their holes. :sad:

I feel sad they got eaten. What kind of jawfish are they and what do you feed them? How did you get a male and female?

I'd imaging they're like any other new parents - they will 'get it' as additional clutches are laid.

@Tinyfish wrote:
I feel sad they got eaten. What kind of jawfish are they and what do you feed them? How did you get a male and female? said:
Not sure of the species, but I think they were just yellow headed jawfish...

There is no really differentiator between males & females, so you need to purchase ~4-5 of them and hope some of them will pair up...
They each make their own burrow and then the male will create a second burrow and invite the female - that becomes the community burrow for both of them. The male will start losing weight, as he will incubate the hatchlings in his mouth, then when they are ready to leave, he releases em... and pray there aren't any hungry chalk bass around... :?

Get that hatcher ready for next time bud - if you can figure out how to catch a few of them that is...