Search results

1. K

Green Slimer Base bleached?

The coral isn't in a good position to get a picture of it.. The base of the coral where it's been superglued to the rock is super white. About .5" of pure white, but the polyps on the other 4" of coral are extended. I've had it for over a month. Since this is the first SPS I've had that hasn't...
  2. K

You know you're addiction to reefing has reached a new level

When... You get a thrill from the smell of epoxy and superglue in the morning. Even more of a thrill peeling it off your hands the rest of the day.
  3. K

Frogspawn

I have a nice 5 polyp frogspawn colony that got wedged pretty deep in the rockwork. I hadn't bothered to take it out since at least 2 polyps were exposed to light and there was a nearby pistol shrimp to contend with. Well today I took it out and the other 3 polyps are still alive! They have no...
  4. K

Mystery Blob ID

So I recently lost my puffer. So now I just have 3 fish and the eel... And there's a half dollar sized white blob that the fish are picking at. I never had a snail that size (it's bigger than a half dollar). I was babysitting a really sick anemone but those guys just melt into nothingness upon...
  5. K

RO/DI in garage

How? No idea how its done or what to connect it to... as well as possible dangers I should be aware of.
  6. K

In memory of Puffpuff

So to honor the death of my little Puffpuff, here's his life story. He started out as a little freshwater pufferfish with about half a dozen other brothers and sisters at DNA. He smiled and showed off for all the people to come up to him but nobody would take him.. He waited and waited and...
  7. K

Wrasse Breeding?

Anyone know anything about it? I'm 95% sure my yellow wrasse is female. She's over 2 years old and has all 3 spots, which points to female. Males usually only have 1 spot.. Maybe 2 if they're younger. It would be cool to get her a male wrasse but don't know if that's at all possible. Would she...
  8. K

Snails on powerheads

I'm really close to pulling them off and throwing them across the room. 3 nights in a row they get on the powerhead and rattle against the glass. I wake up, push them off with a net, 10min later the SAME SNAILS are back! ARHGHHH!H!!!!!! I clean out the powerheads once a month or so... But it's...
  9. K

RO/DI Filters - thefilterguys.biz

I certainly hope those portraits are accurate representations.. :wink: They have good deals here for resin and cartridges. The LFS recommended it to me. I'll be getting a replacement cartridge pack for $40 soon. Can't wait! http://www.thefilterguys.biz/index.htm
  10. K

Removing MH bulb?

Uh... How? I can take out the right half of it, it pops right out, but the other side is stuck in there. No idea what I'm doing . :roll: Does just the glass part of the bulb come out? Is the white part on either end supposed to stay in the pendant? I can hear you laughing at me.. :oops:
  11. K

Gorgonian looking sad

I haven't seen good polyp extension in about a month. The tips of the coral are slowly browning (were a light green). The salinity has been high since I haven't been keeping up with top offs and I'm slowly raising it. Also I had to switch from MH to T5 since the MH ballast went all weird on me...
  12. K

Hydor customer service

Anyone have any experience? Mine broke when I opened it up today to rinse it out. The long white piece broke in two, also one of the two supports along the top snapped off. All I did was open it up!!! Of course the powerhead isn't the easiest to open to clean.. I emailed them but since the...
  13. K

MH ballast hissing, lights flicker

All of a sudden my MH ballast is making a hissing noise and the bulb flickers. The bulb doesn't turn on after a while and not sure what to do... It's a 250w,120v icecap ballast with a 250w bulb. What should I look out for or try to do to make this thing work? New lights and parts are definitely...
  14. K

Bored or overweight fish?

As I found out on accident.. You can really screw with a damsel using a laser pointer! Mine chased it out of his territory so fast it was insane! Also fun for cats and dogs. :D
  15. K

Koralia won't start

Disconnected it to rinse out in freshwater... Now it won't start. Tried plugging it in both ways, different outlets. I know its not the outlets since the MJs work fine. Don't know how to remove the front cover to clean it out if the impeller is jammed. I've tried but it seems really stuck on...
  16. K

Lg Hippo Tang @ Hurst PetORama

Needs a new home... Story goes that his/her old owner was about to move out of state. In the process of moving the tank out of the house it broke and the owner brought all their livestock to POR for them to care for. Well the Hippo tang is really stressed out and fairly large, at least 5", and...
  17. K

Algae on Birdsnest

So I rescued a beautiful little birdsnest from the LFS.. Recently their little frag eggcrate shelf was knocked over and their corals fell over. Well this birdsnest looked really sad today. It had hair algae growing on some of the tips. I tried my best to pick off the algae, however it's not all...
  18. K

Moving an Established Tank 2" forward

Soo... Somebody, not me, not naming names but perhaps my boyfriend... Claimed! That he put 5" behind the tank for a future HOB refuge. But he really put 4" and the HOB is 4.5" not including the top bracing on the 'fuge. I reaaaaaaaaaaaaallly reaaaaaaally don't want a sump under the tank. The...
  19. K

Show off your chalice corals!

Going to get a Chalice coral soon... Wanted to see what they tend to look like once established in a tank. I read that they can start growing like Monti Caps.. How on earth do you convince them to do that! :D
  20. K

Kaledrina's 50g Predator Reef - New lion 3/18!

Current Specs: 50g not quite cube Hardware: 2 MJ1200s 1 Koralia 2 Skimmer 250w Icecap MH Live stuff: 1 Green Spot Puffer 1 Damsel (gr) 1 Wrasse (If I could catch her I would.. :P ) 1 Sargassum Angler 1 Waspfish Eventually 1 Fu Manchu Lion 2 kinds of Frogspawn, Pocillopora, Zoas, Gorgonian...