Moving an Established Tank 2" forward

Soo... Somebody, not me, not naming names but perhaps my boyfriend...

Claimed! That he put 5" behind the tank for a future HOB refuge. But he really put 4" and the HOB is 4.5" not including the top bracing on the 'fuge. I reaaaaaaaaaaaaallly reaaaaaaally don't want a sump under the tank. The question is.

How feasible is it to move a 50g tank 1.5"-2" forward? It's full of water, rocks, fish, corals.... And it's glass so it's that much heavier. So, um, yeah. Suggestions, comments, concerns? This certain someone claims he's also going to move the tank tonight by himself. Want to make sure he doesn't break his back, or worse - the tank.

You are easily looking at five or six hundred pounds. I would take out as much water as you can and maybe some rocks. I would not move it full for sure!!!

Lewis

ya your going to have to drain as much water out as u can and u want to slide the stand u dont want to pick it up uneven it puts stress on the seams. Its going to depend on how much u can drain out and what kind of floor its on

You can move it...just drain a lot of the water out. We had the same issue when we set up the 90 bowfront. It was too close to the wall for the HOB fuge I wanted to use. Drained out about 50 gallon and lots of straining and it was moved. Now I have a display fuge plumbed into it instead that is MUCH bigger. Might think about that if you have an empty 10-20 gallon around the house.

I have moved larger tanks on bases with about 50% of the water out. You have some room between the back of the stand and the wall, right? Do you have a 8' 2 X 4( or shorter is less room)? If so you can use the 2 x 4 as a lever at the bottom of the base. You should have a piece of plywood also to place on the wall so you don't push the board through it. Work both sides a little at a time, you can move it fairly easily and not stress the tank glass seams at all. Be sure to lever against the very bottom of the base cabinet. 8)

Why don't you get some acrylic expert to modify the hob? Maybe Marc or the acrylic guy that builds for fish2morow. That would be the easy safe way to go:)
Good Luck,
Mary

Using the 2x4 for leverage is exactly how I moved my 55g away from the wall. Drain the water first, then move it forward a little bit at a time. Have one or two people standing guard over the tank so it doesn't lean during the move. You want to slide it forward without toppling it.

Pay close attention to the stand to make sure you are moving all of it at once, rather than pushing the side panel right off the base. It should shift as a unit.

Here's what we did during my 14 day project:

Day 3:
First I removed the canopy and all the associated wiring, so that it wouldn't be top-heavy. Then I drained the sump of all the water I could, plus at least half the water from the display. This took about 5 minutes, using a pump.

ready_to_move.jpg
alt="">

Next, I had a helper put their foot against the baseboard and pull on the stand near the base on one end. I stood in front of the tank, and lifted slightly at the cabinet opening on the same end. We worked it out about 10", then did the same at the opposite end. By my lifting a little bit, he was able to pull the stand and tank toward the living room without stressing the stand. It is now about 2' from the wall. This took about 5 minutes, btw.

The tank was refilled quickly, by pumping water into a cup so that the force would not displace the stand or distress the corals further.

adding_water.jpg
alt="">

The canopy was put back in place and the lights were turned back on.

back_of_55.jpg
alt="">

Basically they are saying to put the 8 foot 2x4 completely behind the tank, and have it sticking out 4 feet on one side. Then use that side as a big pry bar to move the tank out. Switch sides and do it again to move the other side out. If you still don't understand what we mean ill draw you a quick picture. Just let me know. I second putting a piece of plywood next to the wall so you don't put the 2x4 through the wall.

I had a 55 that I moved back and forth all the time, hanging different things off the back.....sit on the ground, put your back or shoulder against the wall put your foot on the bottom corner of the stand and just push for an inch with your leg..go to other side and repeat..it doesnt take much strength because of the leverage :D