Recent content by Serk

1. S

Do NOT leave stuff soaking in vinegar too long!

I learned something the other day... A few months ago I replaced the Quiet One 4000 pumps running my system with Eheims... When I took the Quiet One's out of service, I mixed up an about 1:3 ratio of vinegar:water and tossed 'em in, put 'em in the garage and forgot about 'em... Recently...
  2. S

Lets see those Propagation Systems!

I know you've seen it, and it sadly no longer exists, but for completeness, here's my Anemone Propagation System Build Log
  3. S

RO/DI Waste Cat Waterer

Our cats love fresh water to drink, and we're bad about making sure they've always got enough of it... I'd been tinkering with this idea for a while, and decided to finally do it. There's a ledge above the drain for our washer/dryer. So, I got a water dish, and some uniseals. I put a 1/4"...
  4. S

What are people using for sand these days?

I was planning on throwing caution to the wind and re-using the 8 year old DSB from my old tank in the new one, but after the tank went pitch black from removing a few rocks the other day (As in 4 metal halide lights were on just inches above the water, and I thought the lights were OFF!) I'm...
  5. S

Residue on tank

Assuming the tank is glass... ...try a razor blade at a shallow angle to see if that'll take it off... Be careful of scratching the glass though... Also, muriatic acid (Available at Home Depot and the like, usually in the pool department I beleive) is like vinegar on steroids for these...
  6. S

Full Size Lumenarc III DE?

Okay... I must be missing something... Is there such a thing as a full size Lumenarc III that's setup for DE bulbs? I'm only finding Lumenarc III mini's for DE, or full size, but only set up with a mogul socket... Am I smoking the cheap crack, or overlooking something really obvious? Thanks!
  7. S

Serk's 300 Gallon In Wall Build

Nothing's set in stone yet, but we put an offer in on a house the other day. IF the offer is eventually accepted, one of the way's the spousal unit talked me into this is that there is a room next to the living room that #1 shares a 10' wall WITH the living room, and #2 she's willing to let me...
  8. S

New Elliots Hardware in Mesquite!

W00t! There's an Elliots on the civilized side of town now! The old Hammers Hardware in Mesquite has just become an Elliots! http://www.hammershardware.com/home.asp
  9. S

Ever wonder if snails REALLY clean up algae?

My recently set up in-line anemone prop tank was set up with no clean up crew, and has developed a very nasty forest of hair algae and cyano... On a whim, I dropped a few Trochus snails from my main display in. These guys don't move fast, but they leave a trail of total devastation (The GOOD...
  10. S

melting Chaeto?

I've had some varieties of Cheatomorph do that to me as well, while other species of macro algae (Caulerpa and other strains of Cheato) thrived... In fact, I'd given up on Cheato for a while, but I kept getting samples from different people's tanks, and finally got a strain that's growing well...
  11. S

SO glad I keep a spare return pump on hand!!!

So, last night I was getting ready to go to bed, and heard this weird CLICK-CLICK-CLICK sound coming form near the reef... Went to investigate. It was the GFCI outlet that most of my reef it powered on, it sounded like it was trying to trip, but wasn't tripping... This, obviously highly...
  12. S

Pill Crusher on clearance at Wally Mart

Since I'm gonna try the Interceptor treatment soon (As soon as I get my hands on some, to be exact) I found this very useful, figured I'd share.... I was picking up some prescriptions at the Wal Mart in Rowlett, and while waiting noticed these on their clearance shelf for $2 each - Apex Ultra...
  13. S

Montipora commensual brittle star

Anyone ever heard of a brittle star that's commensual with Montipora sp? I first noticed this star fish hanging out on a Montipora Capricornis frag/colony almost 2 years ago. That colony was lost in the coppering incident last summer, the star fish moved to a green Montipora Digitata, was there...
  14. S

How do you supplement Ca/Alk?

Kalkreactor that feeds all my ATO, so I just voted Kalkwasser...
  15. S

Found a use for my center brace! (Algae Column)

I saw the pictures of the member's tank with the acrylic "Algae Tree" hanging vertically in the water column, and it got me to thinking... I don't like getting my hands in the tank when I can avoid it either. And, I've got one of those magnetic algae clips with a long stick to hold the clip...