RO/DI Waste Cat Waterer

Our cats love fresh water to drink, and we're bad about making sure they've always got enough of it...

I'd been tinkering with this idea for a while, and decided to finally do it.

There's a ledge above the drain for our washer/dryer. So, I got a water dish, and some uniseals. I put a 1/4" uniseal in the side, and a 3/4" uniseal in the bottom.

The waste line from my RO/DI goes in the 1/4" uniseal in the side.

I drilled a hole through the ledge above the washer/dryer drain and put a piece of 3/4" PVC in the uniseal on the bowl, below the top of the bowl. I then worked the PVC through the hole I'd just drilled and into the drain for the washer/dryer.

Now, 99.99% of my RO/DI waste will still be going right on down the drain, but at least some of it will be put to good use by giving the cats a constantly replenishing source of fresh water to drink...

PA221906.med.JPG
alt="">

PA221911.med.JPG
alt="">

PA221909.med.JPG
alt="">

that's cool... the cats don't mind the metallic tast or the leftover waste. i guess it's not harmful to them because we drink it... it's not making it more concentrated right?

The TDS in waste water is higher than the source water, since the pure stuff has been extracted. Still, pretty ingenious design, Brian. Did you test it for TDS yet?

I tested the TDS, and it's almost exactly the same as raw tap... (260ish here, I know, we've got terrible water)

I'm theorizing it's because the waste water has gone through the sediment filter and the carbon block filter before being rejected by the RO filter...

That, and since most RO membranes has around a 1:3 ratio (3 gallons to waste for every 1 gallon of product) the waste is only 1/4 more contaminated than the tap (3 gallons of waste water have the total pollutants of 4 gallons of course)

That's not too bad. I've tested the waste water on mine and it was probably 25% more than what the source was. Source was around 172, and waste was something like 225 IIRC.