What are people using for sand these days?

I was planning on throwing caution to the wind and re-using the 8 year old DSB from my old tank in the new one, but after the tank went pitch black from removing a few rocks the other day (As in 4 metal halide lights were on just inches above the water, and I thought the lights were OFF!) I'm seeing the wisdom of getting new sand for my new tank...

So... I hear Pavestone isn't around any more. What are people using now? And whatever it is, I'm gonna need a LOT of it. I want a DSB in my 8' long 2.5' deep tank and in my two 55g support tanks...

I strongly prefer calcium sand, aragonite, sugar sized (I like the fine, smaller stuff).

Am I stuck with the expensive aquarium specific stuff? Or has someone found something locally available that's a suitable substitute for the Pavestone or Southdown?

Thanks!

why not take your sand and clean it? It will save you a couple hundred bucks. Even cleaning it in fresh water really well would be better than buying new sand. That stuff in the pet stores is expensive! Arent you setting up a 300 gallon?

That's what I was planning on doing, but that's a LOT of cleaning... The stuff coming outta the sand was black and STANKY... Just worried that no matter how much cleaning I do, it'll still start the new tank off in the negative, so to speak...

Yeah I underastand what your talking about. You'll need some sort of huge tub and maybe put the hose in it and try to stir it around. Might take an hour or two for eatch tub full. I got it easy. I have a 40 gallon I am setting up. I am just going to buy another bag of sand new. One bag is enough for my tank. I dont want a deep sandbed just an inch or two is fine for me.

One way to look at the cost of the sand is to measure the amount of time you will have to spend to clean what you already have vs. just buying the stuff from the store or online. I was in the same boat as you a few months ago. I had the option to clean the sand I already had or spend a few more hundred dollars and just put in new sand. I ended up chosing the to just buy new sand and seed the new with the old. Worked out great and saved me a ton of time (which to me is more valuable than the amount I spent). I was able to use that saved time doing other things on my setup.

Also serk as you should know.. if you want some of my live sand to sweed or if you want some of my algae you are more then welcome to come by any time and take your pick!

I got 2 tanks with good sand beds and 3 sumps with good sand beds

Dry reef sand is not that much...and as you know over time it will be live and just as good as the wet LS you can buy.

i bought 800 pounds and have used maybe 100. i still need some more, but i will make use of that this weekend so i know for sure how much i can sell you. when are you wanting the sand by?

@Wes wrote:
when are you wanting the sand by? said:
I've got nothing but time right now... :) Weeks, I'd guess, but hopefully not too many more. My tank still hasn't been built, so it's gotta be built, let the silicone cure, get it delivered, installed, plumbed, leak tested, fixed, leak tested again, etc, etc, etc... Somewhere about there I'll be wanting sand...

I just reused a DSB from a broken down 4year old tank, and yes, BLACK water!! and stinky...

But if you run a skimmer and some blue pad for a few days, it will all clear up and look nice again.

p_117475_12744Z.jpg
alt="">

I crammed the blue pad in a section of my sump, and replaced it twice a day for 3 days, and everything cleared up nicely.

cool, cause i have a busy weekend and may not get to it after all. ill consider anything i dont use to be yours though.

i have 19 forty pound bags left. I know i will be using at least 5 more of those, probably 6 as i have a 12x33 section i want to have an 8" sand bed so i figure i need 120 pounds just for it and i need 1 or 2 more bags for the tank itself.

so i guess i will probably have around 500 pounds or so....sell it for what i paid which was like 2-3 bucks a bag.

what is this "pulverized stuff' exactly?

where'd you get it? What is it that is 'pulverized'?

Have you had good results?

@aentrop wrote:
what is this "pulverized stuff' exactly? where'd you get it? What is it that is 'pulverized'? Have you had good results? said:
It's... Well... pulverized lime stone... :)

It's high in calcium (bubbles if dropped in vinegar), small grain size, basically a great reef sand. I've got about 6"-8" of the stuff in my 55 gallon refuguim, and wouldn't hesitate to use it again. It was available at Home Depot for around $3 for a 50 pound bag a few years ago... Unfortunately, Home Depot has quit carrying it.

Here's a thread or two on it:

http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=15394

http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=27508

There are a bunch more, search on "pavestone" if ya' want more discussion about it...

Brian, you might want to check walmart. Our walmart has it in the outside garden department along with the mulch and stuff. You can always come to Paris and buy a bunch if all else fails. Would probably be worth the drive as much as the "aquarium" stuff costs. The pulverized limestone works good, but you have to rinse it a lot...like an insane amount of rinsing. Hope that helps! LMK if you can't find any locally. Maybe I could pick some up and bring it your way or meet you. Looks like Wes has enough to go around though.

Angela

Angela - Our Wal Mart doesn't have any, I just checked... I'll check a few others near me and see, if they don't, I just might be heading up to Paris tomorrow!

If you know any golfers,
and if the golfers knows the grounds keeping staff pretty well,
and the golf course has a sand washing machine (used to clean sand trap sand of organic stuff) -

it would take very little time to clean your quantiy of sand to sparkling (might cost a six-pack) ........

@orchidsnfish wrote:
I was at our walmart yesterday and they have some. said:
Is it the Pavestone Play sand? Or is it something else? The Wal-Mart in Rockwall had Pavestone Play Sand, but I bought a bag and it didn't pass the vinegar test... :cry:

If the stuff in Paris is something different, I'll be making a road trip tomorrow I think! :)