Full Size Lumenarc III DE?

Okay... I must be missing something... Is there such a thing as a full size Lumenarc III that's setup for DE bulbs? I'm only finding Lumenarc III mini's for DE, or full size, but only set up with a mogul socket...

Am I smoking the cheap crack, or overlooking something really obvious?

Thanks!

Sorry to reply to myself... But is the Lumen Max the DE version of the Lumen Arc? Or just a competitor playing off of the Lumenarc's famous name?

Ugh... I love starting fresh research into a topic that I haven't looked into in a few years...

Brian,

I never found a full sized LA III DE pendant, which would've been about perfect for my tank length: 36". I ended up with the mini but have not been disappointed. I would've paid the extra for some more coverage though.

How's the new house btw?

lumen max is the Sunlight Supply version of the Lumenarc. Good reflectors overall, but not what you're looking for.

Hmmm... I'm trying to limit myself to 3 250 w lights over an 8 foot tank, so the bigger the reflectors the better... Does anyone make a big, good reflector for DE MH?

Oh, and we don't take possession of the house until the previous owners (Now our tenants... 8) ) leave, on or before 08/15...

I've been looking at the Lumenarc III cause I'm wanting to go SE for the 12k Reeflux. I never came across in DE besides the minis. So saying that...what do you like about DE's that's keeping you from just buying the SE larger Lumenarc III?

Theoretically DE bulbs are marginally better, as all DE bulbs have the point of light in the same place, thus the reflectors can be engineered knowing exactly where the light will be, whereas with a SE bulb, the point of light can come from different places, so the reflectors have to be more generalized (Or adjustable, which still isn't quite as good as one that's properly engineered from the get go...)

Of course, if the Reeflux 12k's are only available in SE, I might be changing my plans... I really like that bulb myself, have 2 of 'em now...

Edit - Quick update, did some Googling and verified the Reeflux 12k's are available in a 250 watt DE...

Yeah, I heard a while back that Reeflux makes 12k DE. I was told though that they are slightly different in color as in more white that SE. Don't know if that's true or not. The person that told me said it depended on what kind of ballast you use for DE. I had a choice to get either 12k Reeflux or 14k Phoenix. I loved the Phoenix

@Serk wrote:
Hmmm... I'm trying to limit myself to 3 250 w lights over an 8 foot tank said:
what about the lumenbrigh DE pendants?

250 or 400 watt, double ended, 16"x16"x7", glass cover

ive ordered the SE version of these from fish2morow, just waiting on 'em...seen them over marcs, and they look nice.

@Wes wrote:
[I]@Serk wrote:[/I][quote="Hmmm... I'm trying to limit myself to 3 250 w lights over an 8 foot tank said:
what about the lumenbrigh DE pendants?

250 or 400 watt, double ended, 16"x16"x7", glass cover

ive ordered the SE version of these from fish2morow, just waiting on 'em...seen them over marcs, and they look nice."]

what is the coverage supposed to be with those? and at what height? I currently have 3 DE pendants on my 6' tank. would not mind changing to 2 pendants if i can still have good light coverage.

Yeah, I think I've pretty much settled on 3 of the Lumen Bright DE pendants, mated with Reeflux12k Bulbs, run by IceCap MH ballasts...

the new lumen max elite comes in de version....i have debating getting those so i can run 14k...

yeah lumenarc, lumenbrite and lumen max are all made by different companies

sun light supply is sold out last time i checked

http://sunlightsupply.com/product.cfm?sid=893EEC56050C85C51B56C33FB15B4B42&p=1115&cs=products%2Ecfm%3Fsid%3D893EEC56050C85C51B56C33FB15B4B42%26c%3D23%26kys%3D%26pgi%3D1

I'm heavily leaning towards these kits, since they've got the ballast I want (IceCap) and are already wired up for it...

https://diyreef.authsecure.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=55_63_93&products_id=751

I used to enjoy spending hours wiring things up... I'm getting old now... :)

@Serk wrote:
it will work you just need to raise them higher than normal...i think you will need to get one more in my opinion to get the right light intensity...i tried two large lumenbrights....for my tank 6' long by 30 " wide i just didnt like the shadowing - overlaping look. so i broke down and bought a third one...

lumenbright is a great choice you will be very happy with the amount of light reflected back in the tank

Not trying to jack the thread, but I have been considering switching from 2 X 250 Reef Optic III DE with Icecap ballasts to 1 x 250 LumenBright DE over my 33" x 33" x 25" deep "cube" but I have a 2" black plastic brace that runs in the center. I don't want to remove the brace but I am afraid of shadows. I also supplement with 2 x 24W T5 actinic. What do you all think? Big shadow or will I be okay due to the design of the reflector? Also, does anyone know if the DE LumenBrights come with a glass splash/UV shield?

Thanks,

Lee

Brian,

I ran a Reeflux 12k DE 250watt bulb until last week. I had it on a ARO E-ballast and liked the bulb a lot. In my setup it put out a crisp white light with a touch of blue. The only reason I switched it out is because I have no actinic supplements.

The Lumen Max's are outstanding and as long as you can put them at least 12" above the water you should be able to do what you need to do!

Run the Phoenix 14ks man with no actinic. It's an awesome looking bulb with outstanding PAR.

@kwl1763 wrote:
Run the Phoenix 14ks man with no actinic. It's an awesome looking bulb with outstanding PAR. said:
I haven't ordered bulbs yet, so I can still be persuaded one way or the other... Aesthetically, how do those compare to the Reeflux 12k's? My 175w Reeflux 12k's are about as blue as I wanna go, maybe a little bluer even...