How do you supplement Ca/Alk?

Matt,

I use the RHF recipes also to manually supplement CA/Alk/Mg also, about to automate it. May I ask why you are switching? No need to clutter up your thread, shoot me a PM.

Cheers!

~180ml of RHF 2-part / day + 610ml of mg every time I go through a gallon of alk/ca for my mixed tank.

I've been thinking about getting one of those refurbished medical pumps to automate it, but there's a fair amount of sediment that forms in the ca solution.

I use the two-part B-Ionic but have been considering switching to a kalkwasser drip now that I have a sump. I sometimes forget to add it and kalkwasser seems like it would be a more stable solution. That being said, I have been happy with B-ionic.

@Ashlar wrote:
~180ml of RHF 2-part / day + 610ml of mg every time I go through a gallon of alk/ca for my mixed tank. I've been thinking about getting one of those refurbished medical pumps to automate it said:
I found 2 (actually 3) of the dosers off of e-bay, won the bid at a very good price. I gonna either automate my 2 part dosing or switch to A Ca reactor and setup a continueous water changing system, still not decided but either woulda really helped me out while I was out of town.
but there's a fair amount of sediment that forms in the ca solution. said:
How bout adding a lil' stir loop with a mini-jet or such then use your controller to stir it xxx minutes before it startes the dosing.

***editted***

I was using the B-ionics daily and switched to the calc box and drip method. I almost think it is more of a hassle cleaning the box, mixing, and setting the box at the sump, setting the dripline...but, it has made my ph/calc/alk more stable where I didn't see a big difference with the B-ionics. Of course it could've been just me. May I ask how you automate that process without having a calc reactor?

Thanks,
Gail

@bimmerzs wrote:
I found 2 (actually 3) of the dosers off of e-bay said:
How bout adding a lil' stir loop with a mini-jet or such then use your controller to stir it xxx minutes before it startes the dosing."]

Nice! I've been looking at this unit that will do 2 channel dosing.. hadn't thought about a recirc mod for the ca container.

I also dose the RHF 2 part system.(which i foun dis way cheaper then the b-ionic i started with ) I have been pretty happy with the stability but would like to switch to a nilson kalk reactor at some point in the near future. running all top off through reactor

@Ashlar wrote:
[I]@bimmerzs wrote:[/I][quote=" I found 2 (actually 3) of the dosers off of e-bay said:
How bout adding a lil' stir loop with a mini-jet or such then use your controller to stir it xxx minutes before it startes the dosing."]

Nice! I've been looking at this unit that will do 2 channel dosing.. hadn't thought about a recirc mod for the ca container."]

I saw some of those and they were alot more for them and after reading the write-up on the "double dosers", some mentioned the dd's required specific diameter lines that put out a fixed max amount (i.e. 50ml) which I took to mean the dual doser's were actually a glorified timer. If for some reason you needed to have the two dosed different then it would not be possible. I'm sure not all are like that however.
I didn't have a controller at the time and still didn't like the gunk on the bottom, I switched over to leslie's pool hardness plus and once mixed I haven't seen it settle out of suspension yet...I still give it a lil'shake still.

Cheers!

@Ashlar wrote:
Ahh.. since I use the RHF that has you using the same amount of A/B per day said:
I need a bit more versatility since I originally wanted it for a continueous wc system, I would need to be able to adjust one for top-off as well. For what I paid I could find 2 more and still be golden.

If you are using water changes to correct Ca/Alk then you should read this article. http://www.reefs.org/library/article/t_brightbill_wc.html

Sorry Matt,