Recent content by GraviT

1. G

Vertex Cerebra. Anyone else take the plunge?

There's very little information on this product, and I'm not crazy about the form factor, but the advanced programming did me in. I've used an AC Jr. for years now and am very familiar with IFTTT logic, but the ability to add additional conditions to that logic as I see fit is extremely...
  2. G

Replacement for Quiet One 4000?

I've been using one as a return pump for years and have been plagued with problems from the first week. After another night of getting up to get the thing turning again each time the storm caused a power sag, I'm done! I'm looking for suggestions on a submersible pump that pushes about 1000gph...
  3. G

Warner Marine Ecobak biopellets

I've run TLF Bioplastic pellets in a PhosBan 150 for years now with mostly good results, but have recently started having some nuisance algae issues due to medication and increased feeding in an attempt to treat an ich outbreak in my system. I decided that it was time to move up to a larger...
  4. G

Super Reef Octopus XP-1000SSS

So, I just got a stupid good deal on a used one from one of our LFS. Is anybody else using one? If so, how deep is the water its sitting in and how do you like it? I'm hoping that it can perform at least as well as my ASM G4+ (unmodified) in a smaller footprint with less hummmmmm...
  5. G

"Cheap" LED Fixture...

So, I decided on a whim to buy an off brand LED fixture to see if it will meet my needs at 1/2 the cost of some of the cooler alternatives. Yes, I know that its from another country. Yes, I understand that it could one day burst into flames and yes, I know that there are better LEDs, newer...
  6. G

GFO killing/stressing fish?

IN the past 3 days, I've had my Melanarus go missing, a male percula start acting like he's had a stroke (a day of hanging out in the corner near the surface of the water, now he's hiding under a rock and breathing very heavily) and my mystery wrasse go into hiding (usually a very active fish...
  7. G

Another LED Thread?!?

Yep, you guessed it. I'm thinking of converting my 120 gallon from 2x250 Hamilton 14,000k MH + 110 T5 actinic supplementation to LED. I've been reading threads and website product info for the past week and am no closer to determining what the best setup for the buck would be. The tank is a...
  8. G

New Naso Tang

Well, he's been around a week now but is still refusing to eat anything I throw in the tank. Fortunately (for him, not me), there is some hair algae that he seems to be picking on. I've read all the tips (garlic, garlic and maybe more garlic) and am wondering what others experiences have been...
  9. G

Dow Styrofoam IN tank?

So, we just moved to a wonderful new home, and I'm just getting the tank full of water and running again. Problem is, I've added some Dow Styrofoam insulation under the tank and now my return pump is about 1/4" off the bottom of the sump. Has anyone ever used the Dow Styrofoam IN the water...
  10. G

Aggressive Starry Blenny?

We have a Starry Blenny (Salarias Ramosus) who has been an ideal citizen for well over a year now. Recently, our beloved Mandarin Elvis passed away so we decided to replace him with a pair we found at an LFS. The fish were acclimated and all was well, until the Starry began to violently attack...
  11. G

Leopard Wrasses

Just wondering who has managed to keep a Blackspotted Leopard Wrasse (Macropharyngodon meleagris) for any extended amount of time. My third attempt just died this morning after only 3 days in my tank along with a Christmas Wrasse from the same LFS. I'm not sure what to think as both fish were...
  12. G

Harem

I've long wanted a small flock of Anthias...at last I have them! [smilie=smile.gif] It's very interesting to watch the social behavior between the individual fish. There is a definite pecking order! If only I could truly tell the 3 females apart! [smilie=rofl.gif]
  13. G

Baby Sun Coral Rescue

Over the past couple of months, we've been noticing baby sun corals in many places around the tank and sump. This afternoon, I decided to remove the overflow box during a water change and discovered several that had grown skeletal structures and attached to some coralline. Not having the heart...
  14. G

Safe to use garden hose for water changes?

I need some way to pump water from my garage to the tank (about 50 feet) and was thinking of using a new water hose with the metal fittings cut off. Anyone else doing this? Heard of any horror stories from those who have?
  15. G

ACserial2Web Users...

My ACserial2Web installation stopped working tonight with the message "12-31-09 06:04:18 - INFO The beta periond for this software has expired.". Anybody else running the software run into this?