Baby Sun Coral Rescue

GraviT

Premium Member
Over the past couple of months, we've been noticing baby sun corals in many places around the tank and sump. This afternoon, I decided to remove the overflow box during a water change and discovered several that had grown skeletal structures and attached to some coralline. Not having the heart to throw them out, I scraped off what I could and glued them to a piece of rubble. I'll keep this thread updated to track their progress. [smilie=smile.gif]

that is very cool, i hope you have success with them...definately keep us updated with pics and what not so we know how they do. these corals that just seem to spread on their own in our tanks always amaze me...you know, besides the devil shroms and what not that is [smilie=devil.gif]

Feed them and they will grow. [smilie=nerd.gif]

@Marc wrote:
Feed them and they will grow. [smilie=nerd.gif] said:
I keep trying to catch more than one open for a good meal of Cyclopeeze. The parent colony is growing like mad and casting off babies everywhere!

@GraviT wrote:
[I]@Marc wrote:[/I][quote="Feed them and they will grow. [smilie=nerd.gif] said:
I keep trying to catch more than one open for a good meal of Cyclopeeze. The parent colony is growing like mad and casting off babies everywhere!"]

I wasn't aware that they cast them off in various places but rather grow in a colony and spread from the colony while attached. I guess, I'm wrong in my thinking?

They can appear elsewhere in the tank via broadcast spawning.

@Marc wrote:
They can appear elsewhere in the tank via broadcast spawning. said:
They sure can and the little buggers are popping up everywhere. [smilie=smile.gif] They are one of my favorite corals, so you won't hear many complaints from me.

Epic! Keep us posted and consider me if you run out of room. There is ALWAYS enough mysis in my tank to go around.

@Marc wrote:
Nice Kevin! said:
Thanks Marc!

I've been contacted by multiple people looking for frags. Most of the babies tend to attach and grow in places where they would be nearly impossible to remove without tearing down the rock work and I haven't decided what to do with these little guys when they grow out.

You may be able to cut the stone they are embedded in, but I know what you are saying. As they grow larger, it will be easier to frag them. If you can't, enjoy them all and have the most ever. [smilie=rofl.gif]