Warner Marine Ecobak biopellets

GraviT

Premium Member
I've run TLF Bioplastic pellets in a PhosBan 150 for years now with mostly good results, but have recently started having some nuisance algae issues due to medication and increased feeding in an attempt to treat an ich outbreak in my system. I decided that it was time to move up to a larger reactor (Aquaaxx Biomaxx XL) and increase the amount of media being used to help combat the excessive nutrient load on the tank. After a bit of research, I found few if any people had negative things to say about Warner Marine Ecobak pellets and ordered a 1000 ml container for the new reactor.

Now, I realize that this is a significant increase in the amount of biopellet media over what was in the Phosban reactor and I risk a bacterial bloom...we'll keep an eye on that situation. The immediate issue I've noticed is that my skimmer has stopped producing. There is some anecdotal information in the interwebz to indicate that an increase in lipids from the new media may be playing a part in this and the condition should correct itself in a matter of days (or longer). Is anyone else out there running Ecobak, and if so, did you have the same issue initially? How long did it take to resolve?

I would add it slowly to reduce the risk of a bloom. You don't have to fill it all the way just do have the recommended dosage and then ramp up as needed just like you would have if you were just starting pellets. I like the ecobak it tumbles easy but can't say it's more effective then the other brands. Most the other brands work good they just require more flow to tumble it. Thats why I like the ecobak it takes half the flow as my vertex pellets which was more like bio chips.