GFO killing/stressing fish?

GraviT

Premium Member
IN the past 3 days, I've had my Melanarus go missing, a male percula start acting like he's had a stroke (a day of hanging out in the corner near the surface of the water, now he's hiding under a rock and breathing very heavily) and my mystery wrasse go into hiding (usually a very active fish that eats like a pig now won't even come out for brine...I can see it and it seems to be breathing normally). The only change in this time frame was adding BRS GFO to one of my reactors. I rinsed it by running tank water through until it ran clear (always do) but it seems like the trouble started the very next morning.

I've heard some rumors of unrinsed GFO causing problems with fish...wonder if this is related? I'm pretty unhappy to be losing 3 of my favorites all in a few days time [smilie=crying.gif] Has anyone else seen something like this happen after adding GFO?

GFO can cause your alk and PH to drop. Test these. A large drop in phosphate can irritate coral but I never heard it effecting fish. Maybe the GFO is tumbling too much and causing debris to get lodged in the fish's gills. ?

@mmiller40 wrote:
GFO can cause your alk and PH to drop. Test these. A large drop in phosphate can irritate coral but I never heard it effecting fish. Maybe the GFO is tumbling too much and causing debris to get lodged in the fish's gills. ? said:
I'll have to test Alk, but pH is currently 8.24 and the log data doesn't show any significant changes over the past week (maintained by kalk). The media is only lightly tumbling...certainly not any more than usual. Note, this is a new container of BRS GFO which I've never used before (I've used other brands, however).

Update: Both wrasses are dead, the clown is still hiding with heavy breathing. All other fish seem fine. [smilie=crying.gif]

-sounds like a contaminant got in some how...
-maybe you washed it out with soap?? (hope not)
-maybe BRS gfo - "not so goooood"...

-sounds like a contaminant got in some how...-maybe you washed it out with soap?? (hope not)-maybe BRS gfo - "not so goooood"... said:
What's wrong with brs gfo?

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2

When I used gfo I had to rinse it or I would get gfo dust in the tank. I have seen corals die cause of gfo but never fish as it made the water to clean to fast. Do you rise caulerpa might check if it went asexual

Might test for chloramines in your water it's that time of year when they add it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk