Vertex Cerebra. Anyone else take the plunge?

GraviT

Premium Member
There's very little information on this product, and I'm not crazy about the form factor, but the advanced programming did me in. I've used an AC Jr. for years now and am very familiar with IFTTT logic, but the ability to add additional conditions to that logic as I see fit is extremely appealing. I preordered (the beta price is awesome) instead of throwing down for the new Apex. Here's the best information I've found on the system, courtesy of BRSTV (remember that form factor I mentioned? Bare with me) https://youtu.be/LN8oS87VFUY

Anyone else going to test this thing with me? If the company is committed and the open source community takes interest, this platform could be a serious game changer.

I'm actually hoping to get a good deal on a Apex gold package once the new apex hits the market in full force. I think they just started shipping this week.

Thats a great option also, but I'm an IT guy and buying deprecated technology is something I rarely do. Sure, Neptune plans to support the platform for the foreseeable future, but you're going to hit a point where the hardware can't keep up with the software developed for the new architecture.

Cerebra on the other hand runs Android and the company has already established an open source community to build upon the framework. I invision needing my controller to perform a specific function in a pinch, and being able to download an app to manage it instead of writing code.

A lot of people are not getting it because of all the failed launches in the past for the controller. I just don't need one to be sophisticated. Turn my lights on and off and give me the tank readings. I'm also very lazy. I've had an Aqua controller 3 that I've been "going to setup" for probably 5 years and a doser that is almost 2 years old.

I'm actually interested in the new Tunze controller since I'm a big fan of Tunze products.

@Opus wrote:
I'm actually hoping to get a good deal on a Apex gold package once the new apex hits the market in full force. I think they just started shipping this week. said:
We've already got the new Apex at the store. There doesn't seem to be a ton of interest from people who want to make the upgrade to the new model though. I'm sure there will be some though and those that do should be selling them pretty cheap.

@DNA wrote:
[I]@Opus wrote:[/I][quote="I'm actually hoping to get a good deal on a Apex gold package once the new apex hits the market in full force. I think they just started shipping this week. said:
We've already got the new Apex at the store. There doesn't seem to be a ton of interest from people who want to make the upgrade to the new model though. I'm sure there will be some though and those that do should be selling them pretty cheap."]

Now I know where to buy an Apex if this thing doesn't work out!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I pre-ordered mine as well. I have no preconceived notions of right or wrong as I am brand new, but the wife likes the pretty screen.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/vertex-cerebra-prima-controller

That sure is a big screen. I would have to build a special shelf for it. I think I like the Amazon fire paired with the apex better.

Thanks!

I just bought 2 Amazon fire's for 2 of my Apex's. However, I'm still struggling on what happens if you don't have an Apex display and you lose wi-fi. There have been many times that I've HAD to do things from the Apex display. Have they corrected this on the new Apex's? I have an Apex jr I was going to use on my 45G I'm setting up but may just try the Cerebra to see how it works.

Anyone know if they will supportcontrol Ecotech or AI products?

Are you saying just wifi goes down or the entire network? If just wifi, why not hardwire it. Buy a network over phoneline setup. I use that for all my computers and a/v equipment because wifi couldn't keep up with HD video and all the gaming my kids do. You can get a good netgear kit for under $50.

The size of controller is pretty big but darn the power strip is 20" long for only 6 outlets, I'd need 2 to run my tank and room for 2 20" bars , not sure I got room for that.

@Opus wrote:
Are you saying just wifi goes down or the entire network? If just wifi said:
I've had an older setup like that laying around so I first started with that, and it was hit or miss. That's why I bought the netgear wireless gaming adapter.

I'll checkout the newer kits to see if they are any better, I believe that kit was 7-8 years old.