Safe to use garden hose for water changes?

GraviT

Premium Member
I need some way to pump water from my garage to the tank (about 50 feet) and was thinking of using a new water hose with the metal fittings cut off. Anyone else doing this? Heard of any horror stories from those who have?

I wouldnt risk it unless you used one of the hose's thats available that are drinking water safe. Like the type for rv's

Yeah after reading the article about the trash cans, I would try to be safe than sorry on that one. Oh and I have one of those trash cans and havn't had an issue.

Let me put it like this. Does the hose smell funny to you?...I bet it does have a smell of some type. Might not harm anything....but who really knows.

@Saltpro wrote:
Let me put it like this. Does the hose smell funny to you?...I bet it does have a smell of some type. Might not harm anything....but who really knows. said:
The tubing I currently use for water changes has a funky smell, and hasn't caused any negative impact, that I'm aware of, after 6 years. Some garden hoses have an antibacterial coating to prevent deterioration. Those would obviously be a bad choice but cheap garden hoses are made of vinyl which is a very common material for use in various tubing applications.

So, I found this and ordered it. Not much more expensive than a regular garden hose and safe for drinking water. That should do the trick! :D

I will agree not to use a garden hose.... I learned the hard way in my freshwater days.. Used a new hose to fill my tank and it killed everything... and yes I used a de-clorinator.

agreed, id just order the right stuff from here - http://www.flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?product=Clear-Tubing-Hose-ByTheRoll

they come in 100' rolls so if you only need 50 cut it in two and sell the rest

the 100feet 1/2 x 5/8 inch clear hose should work sufficiently and total with shipping at $48.50 half is about the same price you spent

i have been using a cheap yellow water hose from walmart with no problems. i used it few times before using it on my tank. it never had a smell, it looks just like clear hose u can buy but was cheaper for long length

@Wes wrote:
Well, I went back to the Home Depot page and zoomed in on the product picture. The packaging on the larger image seems to indicate that the hose contains "Microshield" to protect against bacteria and mold inside of the hose. If the product I purchased does contain that stuff, I won't use it on my tank. Looks like I may order what you posted after all Wes. :|

I vote no hose - use the flex tube to be safe.

@mtraylor wrote:
Yeah after reading the article about the trash cans said:
Which trash can article?! Is it in the reef disc. forum?

Edit: never mind - found it...

@v320 wrote:
I vote no hose - use the flex tube to be safe. [I]@mtraylor wrote:[/I][quote="Yeah after reading the article about the trash cans said:
Which trash can article?! Is it in the reef disc. forum?

Edit: never mind - found it..."]

Thanks, but the hose arrived and doesn't contain any type of anti-microbial agent. I've removed the ends and it's working out great.

I don't know why I feel the need to post this but "a hose is not just a hose". Even the typical garden hose has many different materials it can be made from and so is not really typical. Personally, I found out a long time ago that the vinyl garden hoses most people purchase are not worth the effort. These are not to be confused with vinyl tubing which is made from different mix of materials. You have probably seen those water changing kits with the vinyl tubing and the valve that hooks to the water faucet. The clear tubing is great for seeing the progress of the water. If you go to the plumbing section in home improvement stores you will see that there is different tubing for hot water than cold. The same is true even with PVC. Different mixes of materials make a difference.

My point, finally, is that if you are using the hose for draining water out I can't see how it would matter. If you are using the hose or tubing to put water in you can get either vinyl tubing for <u>water</u> or a <u>100% rubber</u> water hose. They do still make real rubber hoses. If you use the rubber hose, you will need to run tap water through it (outside your house) to flush out anything that may be in there. Once flushed out and drained, the rubber hose will work fine. And I would drain the tubing or hose after use. This will prevent things growing inside it.

After all, there are both surgical rubber and surgical tubing in health care.

@Tinyfish wrote:
I don't know why I feel the need to post this but "a hose is not just a hose". Even the typical garden hose has many different materials it can be made from and so is not really typical. Personally said:
Thanks for posting your comments.

The hose in question is rated for drinking water, not a common garden hose. It has never been used for anything other than saltwater and is stored inside my garage workshop with the rest of my aquarium supplies. The metal ends have been removed, thus eliminating any concern of metal contamination. I am very familiar with the clear, vinyl tubing as I've been using it for over 7 years now.

After 3 water changes (90 gallons total), everything in the tank is extremely healthy and happy. Corals, snails, crabs, shrimp, fish...even the copepods and tiny mysis are all thriving. If I begin to see anything to the contrary that I can't explain by levels detected in water tests, I would stop using this hose, run some carbon, and re-evaluate my decision.

Happy Reefing! [smilie=smile.gif]