Aggressive Starry Blenny?

GraviT

Premium Member
We have a Starry Blenny (Salarias Ramosus) who has been an ideal citizen for well over a year now. Recently, our beloved Mandarin Elvis passed away so we decided to replace him with a pair we found at an LFS. The fish were acclimated and all was well, until the Starry began to violently attack the female Mandarin. It started with a couple of fin nips and quickly escalated to him grabbing the Mandarin and thrashing her from side to side. I netted the female as quickly as I could and moved her to the refugium, but she was pretty badly injured and passed away last night. [smilie=sadsmile.gif]

This morning, the male Mandarin was out and about when suddenly the Starry began violently attacking him as well. [smilie=angry.gif] I was able to net the male and move him to the refugium, with any luck, he'll survive.

I found a few stories Starry aggression (thanks Google), but was wondering if others have experienced something similar with this species. We've added several other fish in the past week or so and he hasn't shown any interest in them, but he's still circling the tank trying to find the Mandarin I removed this morning.

I've had similar blenny is issues with my Midas. It will attack any wrasse it encounters, but leaves all of the other fish in my tank alone. It's really weird because it's like they just pick a certain species of fish and go after them for no reason. [smilie=punch.gif]

If you need a new home for the mandarin let me know. I was planning on getting one soon.

My lawnmower will go nuts on my tongan snails from time to time. He will pick them up and thrash hard and then drop them. Just randomly started doing it one day.

I've got a starry blenny, but the only thing he's ever gotten aggressive with is me. I chalked it up to him seeing my clownfish bite me every time I put my hand in the tank, and he wanted to get in on that action, so he'll nip me from time to time. Hasn't gone after any other fish (and I formerly had a wrasse), but I don't have any other blennies or similarly shaped fish either.

i have a starry blenny for 2 years now then i added a tailspot blenny and the starry blenny started attacking the tail spot instantly. but then i rearrange the rock works and now nomore fighting. they are actually friends now. and they are in a biocube 29 so kinda small space for them two but i'm glad it worked out cause i love both of them.