Leopard Wrasses

GraviT

Premium Member
Just wondering who has managed to keep a Blackspotted Leopard Wrasse (Macropharyngodon meleagris) for any extended amount of time. My third attempt just died this morning after only 3 days in my tank along with a Christmas Wrasse from the same LFS. I'm not sure what to think as both fish were fine one minute, then laying on the sand with labored breathing the next within 12 hours of each other. There are no external signs of damage or parasites.

I did have a bit of a pH dip over the past several days (dropped down to 7.96), but I wouldn't have thought it would be enough to wipe out two fish like that.

I have a Blue Star Leopard that is going on 2 years and doing great.
It is hit and miss with those guys. It is hard to get a good specimen.
I have had good luck with Live Aquaria. I have tried the local stores and
could not get them to stay alive. It was probably due to bad shipping.
Alex has a Black Leopard Wrasse in his tank that is doing very well from
Live Aquaria.

Like what Saj said, it's hit and miss on the Leopard Wrasses. I have a Ornate Leopard (Macropharyngodon Ornatus) that I bought from Granite Aquatics for about 4 months now, and he's doing great so far. It even made it through the Ick outbreak that I lost tangs, clown and Midas Blenny. I also bought a Potter Wrasse from them, but it only lasted 3 days, but might be the sixline that I had harassed it till it's dead. You should read up on the Leopard Wrasse Primer on RC.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1486086

@96gts wrote:
Thanks for the link, it's somewhat comforting to see that I'm not the only one struggling to keep these fish. I would really love to have a meleagris, but it sounds like maybe these guys are just too fragile. Perhaps I'll get more fairy wrasses instead! [smilie=wink.gif]

I have a Potters Wrasse that I've had for a year and a half now. I've tried putting a few other wrasses in the tank with him, but within a week they are dead or MIA. I've never seen the Potters pick on them...but that is honestly the only conclusion I can come up with.

What other fish do you have in the tank?

@Hoss wrote:
I have a Potters Wrasse that I've had for a year and a half now. I've tried putting a few other wrasses in the tank with him said:
Quite a few! [smilie=lol.gif] The only fish I've seen get even close was our Melanurus Wrasse, but he's quite gentle and was only checking them out. I ordered a Potter's in a group buy, but unfortunately it was DOA. Quite a beautiful fish.

i really like these fish and want one myself, my problem is my mystery is a bully...it tortured a christmas that i have had for 3 years until it jumped (had eggcrate too ?!)

those with them, what other wrasse do you have with it? the mystery is marias favorite fish so it by far has senority and will be the only wrasse if i must but i would love something else

I currently have a ornate leopard wrasse and a meleagaris. They are all tough fish to keep. I have in the past had a nigres, blue star and potters. I have had them all for at least a year but have lost them to various problems. Jumping out, tank moves, etc. These are some of my favorite wrasses. One trick is to make sure it eats. Alot of time they get shipped and the fish is constantly banging it's nose against the bottom the bag trying to bury itself in the white styrofoam underneath thinking it is sand. They say they come out alot better if they are shipped with a little sand to keep it's stress level down and to keep it from damaging it's mouth. So when you look at them make sure the mouth doesn't look all jacked up. They can also look fine and eating well but in the first two months die mysteriously. Nobody knows why but if you make it past a few months you are prob. one of the lucky ones.

I have tried and failed. It made it for awhile and ate when it came out. tough one to keep. I am very jealous of the fish galley they have a great one in their coral display tank. they have had it for a long time. Seems like years.

I had one for about 4 months before it jumped into the overflow and then disappeared before I could get it out. Think it got stuck in the plumbing... 2nd time it made the trip that way, but first time it came out no worse for wear.

@yuki wrote:
I have tried and failed. It made it for awhile and ate when it came out. tough one to keep. I am very jealous of the fish galley they have a great one in their coral display tank. they have had it for a long time. Seems like years. said:
I'm always trying to get a frag of that fish! [smilie=wink.gif]

@blakemeadows wrote:
I had one for a while until my melanarus killed it.... soon after he killed a flame wrasse too said:
That's interesting, our Melanarus is like the tank ambassador. Sorry to hear you lost a flame wrasse, those are incredible fish.

I added a Meleagris Leopard on 5/15, it went in the sand for about 2-3 days and won't eat for about 1 weeks. It slowly started eating some cyclops, after another 3-4days it started eating some Mysis shrimp. Now it had adjusted to my tank light schedule and eating NLS pellets. Hopefully it will make it long term.

4618910014_33cf861f85_b.jpg
alt="">

@saj01c wrote:
Pretty fish. Great to see that it is doing well. Where did you get it? said:
I got it from Aquatic Design, it had been there for about 2 weeks according to their invoice. I was there the week before and I didn't see it, it must be hiding in the sand.