Search results

1. C

Mimic Tang

I have a 90 gallon with one small regal tang in it. I'd like to add a mimic tang - anyone have experience with a mimic and regal? I'm also wondering are mimic lemonpeel and mimic tangs the same thing? Thanks
  2. C

Refractometer took a swim...

My cats were playing in my laundry room and knocked my refractometer into a bucket of water....any tips on trying to dry it out?
  3. C

Partitioning a Tank

Has anyone successfully partitioned a display tank? I'd like to keep a couple of incompatible species...but would rather partition my 90 then set up a small tank...I was thinking perhaps even partitioning it with a rock wall or with live rock would be interesting-kind of make a lagoon. I need a...
  4. C

Lighting and Canopies

I have a 6 bulb T5 fixture over my 90 gallon tank. It sits in a wooden canopy and rests on strips of wood in the canopy. My problem is this makes working in the tank and changing bulbs a real chore. I have to take the fixture out completely to change a bulb (and always with a risk of dropping...
  5. C

Lost my 2 Heniouchus overnight...

Ok I need help. I recently acquired 2 beautiful Heniochus bannerfish. To be precise 08/26- I received them from an online vendor and they were beautiful-albeit a bit larger than I had expected ( I ordered small and each fishes body was approximately 4" long). They have been eating very well...
  6. C

keeping Light Fixtures/Cabinet Dry

I have a 65 gallon that has a Nova T5 fixture in the canopy. Lights are probably 2-3" from the water (they sit on a lip in the canopy). My problem is they get quite wet (probably from condensation/splashing). Is there a no-brainer way of keeping them dry? There is an acrylic shield to protect...
  7. C

Duncan - no new polyps

OK I'm stumped. I have had a duncan single polyp for about a year now. It was tiny (about 1/2" across when out) and is now about 2" across when out but is still one single lonely polyp. How do new polyps grow on these -do they sprout on the side or does the head split? Anything I can do to...
  8. C

Lights to fit 20" tank

I'm setting up a tank that is approximately 20"x15"x16". I'm not looking for anything super duper in the way of wattage as this is to be primarily a bangaii tank and maybe some easy softies like mushrooms and gsp. I'm just wondering what my options are for this length? I was thinking I could...
  9. C

Nova Extreme with fried ballast....(I think)

I have a 36" T5 for my 65 tank. A year ago one end got, let's say "submersed" in the tank...since then one set of bulbs has not come on, but the other has. The lights are switched separately. I did swap bulbs around but the same set won't come on. I'm thinking a ballast probably fried -anyone...
  10. C

Leaking Sump

Grr....I plumbed my 65 gallon about a month or two ago. I used an older glass oceanic wet/dry for a sump and it has started leaking. I had to remove a partition to get the sump in so I know I can't get it out intact without taking down the tank. I really don't have time to take down the tank...
  11. C

Worming tangs in Display

I have a new tang (lieutenant tang) and a regal who I've had for about a year. They are both in my display. My regal's poop is a bit white and stringy and the new one is a bit thin. I'd like to worm both of them. My question is can I try mushing some prazipro in with their formula two cube and...
  12. C

Azoo clip on cooling fans?

I was thinking of ordering this, for my 90 gallon sump to aid in cooling. Currently I have an 02cool fan down there but I find it bulky. Has anyone used these fans - do they push much air? Thanks
  13. C

Drain Pipe Question

I'm trying to get my 65 gallon plumbing finished and realized something today. The drain pipe that is in the overflow has holes in it along it's side right down to about 4" from the bottom - is this normal? So if power goes off almost all the water (except for 4") that is in the overflow will...
  14. C

Stagnant "Live" rock

I have some rock that was live a few months ago. It has been sitting in a bucket of saltwater without circulation all summer. I'd like to add this rock to a new sump I've set up for a 65 gallon system (system has been up as a non reef ready for about a year). Can I add it a pound or two at a...
  15. C

Getting a tank in Balance...minimizing maintenance

It always seems I'm fighting something or other in my 90 gallon tank. It's been set up for over a year now and still has not found its balance. Something is always out of whack. Currently I'm fighting cyano due to phosphates, before that it was hair algae, before that bubble algae...I get one...
  16. C

Heniochus Diphreutes (Schooling Bannerfish)

Does anyone here keep them or have experience with them? I'd like to get a couple (2 possibly 3). I've read up on them and they sound like one of the hardier butterflyfish. I was wondering if they do in fact school well? I don't want to take up all the fish real estate if 3 aren't more showy...
  17. C

What do you mix your water in?

I want to simplify my water changes. Currently I make RO/DI water in 5 gallon jugs. Then when I want to make saltwater I pour water into mixing buckets (each 5 gallons) , add salt, find enough powerheads for several buckets....obviously not very efficient. I bought a 33 gallon brute garbage can...
  18. C

Mysterious Invert Deaths

I'm puzzled. I have lost a pair of cleaner shrimp that have been in my tank for over a year as well as quite a few snails (I see a few empty shells and haven't seen many in the last few days). I went on vacation came back and tank was suffering a cyano attack but other than that livestock were...
  19. C

Methods of Running Carbon

I would like to run carbon in my system. I have a phosban reactor but I use that for Phosban. I saw that the reefer who has the July tank of the month at reefcentral runs his carbon in a filter sock - is this an OK alternative method?
  20. C

Installing Typhoon RO/DI

I have a typhoon RO/DI that I have never installed because it needed a new membrane so I figured I'd use my old RO until that membrane wore out..it has so I'm getting ready to set up the Typhoon. I'm going to hook it up with a V connector to my washing machine tap. I'll put a ball valve in the...