Leaking Sump

Grr....I plumbed my 65 gallon about a month or two ago. I used an older glass oceanic wet/dry for a sump and it has started leaking. I had to remove a partition to get the sump in so I know I can't get it out intact without taking down the tank.

I really don't have time to take down the tank, do you think it is possible to fix the leak with the sump in the cabinet? It looks like it is leaking between the black trim on the bottom and the glass (of course water runs so I guess it could be anywhere). Do you think I could run a bead of silicone all around that edge? I could possible drain just the sump and do the same on the inside of the sump?

Or another alternative, would be to smash the sump to get it out...sounds drastic but much less work than taking down the tank...I'd then put in a rubbermaid container for a sump as I could get that in...

What would you do?

Thanks

Carolyn

Can you post some pics of the leak and area you have to work with? You could drain and try to seal the leak, but it is dependent on how well you can get the silicon into the area.

Pictures won't show much...the sump is tinted black so I doubt anything would show in the pictures. I guess I can always try a bead of silicone inside and out - I don't keep the water level very high in the sump so it shouldn't be too hard to drain it. I just don't know if it's worth the hassle - perhaps I should just get it out of there with a hammer....