What do you mix your water in?

I want to simplify my water changes. Currently I make RO/DI water in 5 gallon jugs. Then when I want to make saltwater I pour water into mixing buckets (each 5 gallons) , add salt, find enough powerheads for several buckets....obviously not very efficient.

I bought a 33 gallon brute garbage can on wheels but soon figured out it wouldn't roll full. So I took that back.

I need ideas on what to mix water in (the brute stunk even though it was brand new and I rinsed it well), and then how you get your water from your mixing area to your tank. I only need to mix about 20 gallons at a time.

Thanks

I use the big gray Brute with the seperate dolly you can get for around $28 (and another $28 for the dolly) and it rolls fine. I think it has 5 wheels under it and I usually get within 5 gallons of full. But don't push it :lol: If you hit a bump in the tile or a threshold... :roll:

I use a black trash can from Home Depot (the one with wheels). It's a 35 gallon but I only make 20 gallons at a time so it's just right. I have another one just like it for draining the tanks. I roll the new water in, drain the tanks into the empty trash can, then use a Mag5 to pump in the fresh water.

Fortunately, I can mix the water right next to my refugium, so I don't have to move my barrel. I have a 60g barrel that I mix new water in, and a 55g barrel that I put the waste water into.

Here's what I do, documented from beginning to ending:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-11/nftt/index.php

I use a 24x16" rubbermaid tote. It holds 20g perfectly and I only need one mag drive to mix it for 2-3 days. I transfer water with a 5g bucket, and pour it directly into the sump. Works well, and uses less space!
Catherine

I use two 33 gallon rubbermaid green trach cans. I keep one in the bath tub for fresh ro/di water and if I forget it and it overflows it just runs into the bath tub and down the drain. I pump the ro/di water out of that one and into the other. It is on a mover's dolly with a piece of plywood. It is very stable even full of water. That is what I mix saltwater in.

I have a can in the garage, an extra mag pump and about 20ft of hose. I drain from the sump or the frag tank and then pump it back from the can through the garage door. I considered the can on wheels but prefer to leave that outside. I do siphon with a hose and bucket though to get up the detritus and such....

@Pneumatic wrote:
[I]@DaveJ wrote:[/I][quote="I have a can in the garage said:
How do you keep your water from reaching 170 degrees in the summer?"]

I do the changes in the am.... after everything has had a chance to cool off. 85 deg water won't push the system temp up.

I have a total water volume of about 280G in the main system right now and only do 25G or 30G changes. I pump the water into the sump and by the time it hits the tanks, its effect on temp is minimal.

If the water temp in the garage is over 90 or so.... then I wait until the temps drop.

Only once this summer has it got to the point where I didn't feel comfortable with the change due to that temp, the water was in the mid 90's at 8am..... at that point I had two choices, drain into 5G jugs and leave overnight in the house to get to room temp, or buy the saltwater that day and do it that way.

I have wanted to store my water in the garage but was always afraid of the temps being too high. I guess in the grand scheme of things it's not as big of a deal as I made it out to be in my mind. :)

I just picked up 2 60g barrels ( like the soda syrup barrels ) but they have a removable tension band sealed lid. They were used for tomato sauce, clean and odor free, gave $7 ea. I'll use 1 for RO/DI tank and the other to mix in.

I do the Brute 34g barrels. I have one on wheels on the back porch for making the ro/di in. When I need to make saltwater, I wheel that one inside and use a clean 5 gallon bucket to dump two or three loads into a second Brute that stays in the dining room area. I add the salt after weighting it out, dump it in the can and start the mixing pump. I wheel the fresh water barrel back outside.

For changes, I pump the fresh saltwater into a 5 gallon jug and that allows me to have control. I only need about 3 gallons a week right now. When I have the larger tank, it may change a bit. (putting wheels on the salt barrel too.)

I have a 35g fresh RO/DI water tank up high & a 55g barrel for my SW mix. When I need to mix SW I just drain my FW into my 55g barrel that sits under the spout. When I need to do a water change or add top off water I just roll out my DIY Python hose. I open & close the ball valves as needed. I have the two waters tied together so I only have the one hose to roll out. I just flip the ball valves so I get the water I want at the time. I did the roll around thing & I made a big mess so we now do it this way.

It was easy to do. I have a pump in line so it fills up the tank fast & when I am done I just flip the ball valve & it mixes the water.