Drain Pipe Question

I'm trying to get my 65 gallon plumbing finished and realized something today. The drain pipe that is in the overflow has holes in it along it's side right down to about 4" from the bottom - is this normal? So if power goes off almost all the water (except for 4") that is in the overflow will drain to the sump-this seems like a lot of volume.

Basically this drain pipe is a piece of pvc -not capped on top with holes in it down its length. Would I be better off with the durso type standpipe? I'm thinking I'd better deal with this now rather than afterwards!

Thanks

This type of drain pipe will only allow 4" - 6" of water depth in the overflow (the water will drain through all those holes in the pipe, -- the overflow water depth will depend on size and number of holes and how fast the water drains through the holes compared to how fast the return pump fills the overflow).

It is the "noise" of the water falling from the teeth of the overflow to the 4" level that the durso attempts to mask. By allowing the overflow water depth to be just a couple of inches below the teeth, it can't fall far and make much noise.

Either drain works - but most people do the durso even if the splashing water would not be an issue.

Ahhh...thanks - I never thought about the fact that the overflow would never fill so there wouldn't be a whole lot of volume. LOL. I guess then this would not be too terribly difficult to change after the fact. Turn off the power...change drainpipe...turn back on...

I see the durso would allow for a little more water volume since the whole area would fill.

Your post brings up another question...on my 90 I noticed when doing a water change that the drain is slow when I turn the pump back on. In fact the water was going over the overflow - after a moment it makes a large gushing sound and goes back to normal. In that overflow the waterlevel is very high -should I perhaps cut that pipe to lower to a couple of inches below the surface.

@CarolynM wrote:
Turn off the power...change drainpipe...turn back on... said:
If you think you want the durso, I'd do it now.

@CarolynM wrote:
Your post brings up another question...on my 90 I noticed when doing a water change that the drain is slow when I turn the pump back on. In fact the water was going over the overflow - after a moment it makes a large gushing sound and goes back to normal. In that overflow the waterlevel is very high -should I perhaps cut that pipe to lower to a couple of inches below the surface. said:
Does this tank have a durso? Might need to pop the top off and ensure the pipe and drain lines are clean, and that the vent hole is also clean and sized properly. I think this sounds like it is capturing an air bubble that it needs to burp out to get the flow back to normal.