Installing Typhoon RO/DI

I have a typhoon RO/DI that I have never installed because it needed a new membrane so I figured I'd use my old RO until that membrane wore out..it has so I'm getting ready to set up the Typhoon.

I'm going to hook it up with a V connector to my washing machine tap. I'll put a ball valve in the inlet line to shut off water when not in use. However I'm very concerned about failure of the ball valve and possible leaks.

This unit does have an auto shut off -how do these work? I was wondering if I need to put in a valve on the outlet line to close when not in use, let the auto shut off kick in and then close the inlet valve? I don't plan on using a float on the end of the outlet as I use 5 gallon containers.

So to make a long question short - how you stop flow to your RO/DI? :)

How do you use your old unit? This should work the same way.

I've only seen one kind of auto shutoff and it requires the float on the end and that is what shuts off the unit. If you are that worried about the ball valve then I would install the valve on the output side as you mentioned.

I have my unit hooked up to the cold water pipe going to the hot water tank via a saddle valve. If it fails I'm screwed.

CarolynM - If it has one of those normal, 4-port auto shutoff valves, you have to leave it inline where it is meant to be positioned. One side should be inline before the RO membrane and the other side should be between the RO and the storage tank.

If there is more pressure coming from the tank end, the valve shuts off.

If there is less pressure from the tank end, then the valve opens (because you need more water in there!).

Everyone - Please if I am in error, correct me. The diaphragm on my auto shut off valve failed and I removed it, so I cant check my unit for the proper plumbing.

go to http://bulkreefsupply.com/ and look at their videos on the home page. if you scroll to the right in their videos they show you how to set up an auto shut off.

Watching this is a lot easier then me trying to explain.

enjoy.

ASOV are lifetime warranty items with most mfg. But they only work if you are using a metal storage tank that builds back pressure to force the diaphram closed. Wont ever work on a open container with a line run into it.

an asov will work in an open container if you use a float valve like the one kent makes. I have one in my sump. but i also have a bladder tank.