Methods of Running Carbon

I would like to run carbon in my system. I have a phosban reactor but I use that for Phosban. I saw that the reefer who has the July tank of the month at reefcentral runs his carbon in a filter sock - is this an OK alternative method?

it would be best to use a reactor or cannister. If the sock is just sitting, there is no way to insure that you get a consistent flow of "new" water through it. I have used two different mediums in my phosban reactor, one loose and one bagged. Until you get a new one reactor you might try this if you have the room in your present one

That's a good idea TJ -putting the carbon in a bag within the reactor - my sump is so crowded I really don't like the idea of adding more down there.

I am space restricted in my sump as well so a reactor will have to come with the bigger sump.

In the mean time, I had the same thought about the filter sock. How would it be to have carbon in a filter sock which catches the outflow from the skimmer? Would that do in a pinch?

@CarolynM wrote:
Next Question: How MUCH carbon is recommended said:
None that I am aware of... I use the reactor and just fill it 3/4 of the way up and change it every other week. You can't overdose or use too much... but if you use a lot you could end up tossing it away before its been used up completely if you change it too often. Just make sure to rinse completely before use and you should be fine.

I have a tray under my return in my sump. I cut a piece of filter media long enough to make a canoe out of it. I bunch up the ends and put a rubber band around each end. Rinse my carbon and dump it in, position it under the return, and im done. Hope this helps. :)