Search results

1. Z

Aquacultured Live Rock

Hi - I am working on a new tank setup and this is the first time I have set up a new tank in quite a few years. I was thinking of using some aquacultured live rock this time. Has anyone used this vendor: http://www.justliverock.com or someone like them? What have the experiences been on...
  2. Z

Ziggy's 150 Build

Hi - I realized today that I have had my 75 gallon tank for almost 7 years to the month. The reason I found that interesting is that I was lucky enough to find a used 150 gallon (reef ready) that was in my price range. So I have spent the past few days trying to remember all the problems I...
  3. Z

Q: Chiller control options?

Hi - I am working on setting up a larger tank than I have ever attempted (150G). My current tank (75G) has utilized fan/evaporation for temperature control during the warmer seasons. This time around I would like to use a real chiller (e.g. 1/4 HP JBJ Arctica). I currently have a controller...
  4. Z

Q: Hood Fans?

Hi - I am preparing to re-design/re-implement my hood. I went to go search for fans for use in my new hood design and realized that Ice Cap doesn't make fans anymore? So what is everyone else using these days (can you tell it has been a while)? Thanks - Ziggy
  5. Z

Phosphate and food sources...

Hi - I have been battling phosphate that is over 2 PPM for well over a week. I have increased skimming. I have harvested half of my chaeto to remove both nitrate and phosphate from the water column. I have been running PhosGuard for 8 days (changed it every 4 days with 1.5 cups of media for...
  6. Z

Light Meter

Hi - Does our club own a light meter similar to any of these? http://webtrolley.org/mivastore/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=apogee&Category_Code=BQM I am reworking my lighting arrangement and it would be beneficial to get some actual measurements in tank to set some heights, wattage, and...
  7. Z

Spiderlight Reflector Mounting

Hi - I am considering reworking my hood and am considering adding a copule of reflectors for my 2x250W MH system: Marine Depot link I can't find any mounting specifications. Does anyone have the specifications? How far off the surface? Mount parallel or perpendicular to the front of the...
  8. Z

MH Reflector

Hi - During NextWave, the last speaker was demonstrating the effectiveness of some reflectors on several MH setups. However, I can't remember the name of the one that he showed that with better efficiency than the spiderlight. It was the picture with all the white hotspots. Does anyone...
  9. Z

Green tree propagation - Methods of propagation

[Hello - I have a green tree with 4 distinct trunks that is taking over my tank. I would like to propagate into 4 smaller specimens. I think I have gotten over my squimish nature and am prepared to take a razor blade to slice this fellow up into parts. However, if I do that what method...
  10. Z

Q: how to feed phytoplankton - Methodology of using phytoplankton

[Hi - Now, let's say that I have a phytoplankton farm as detailed on Marc's page. Now comes the question of how to use the stuff... Here are some of my naive theories: 1.) Turkey baster the stuff directly over the corals with the return pump/powerheads off. 2.) Turn off the protein skimmer...
  11. Z

Star polyp - Can i glue them?

[Hi - I was given a small cluster of star polyps that were not attached. But the crabs keep moving them and sending them sinking to the bottom of the tank. Can I glue them to a rock with the same glue I used for some pieces of SPS? Thanks]
  12. Z

Dead sea... - Unexplained death of crabs and snails...

[Hi - I obtained a 70 gallon salt water tank a month and half ago. The tank came with about 70 lbs of live rock in a bucket with heater and power head. The sand was contained in a few buckets, but was dry. I tended to the live rock (checking specific gravity, temp, etc.) while I set up the...
  13. Z

Refrigerator chiller - Alternative to expensive chiller

[Hi - I was wondering if anyone has ever tried using a really small refrigerator (1.8 cu. ft.) as a chiller? I was thinking that with a couple of holes in the top, a good measure of tubing, and a power head, that a system could be devised to use this as a chiller. Then it dawned on me that...
  14. Z

Q: where is the skimmer in the water flow? - Newby question about tanks

[Hi - I have been looking at several of the filtering mechanisms available on the market (and considering a DIY option), I have become a little confused about the water flow in a reef system. Please take pity on my ignorance and clarify/correct my understanding... Water begins the journey (if...
  15. Z

Q: seaclear sys ii rtr - Newby question about tanks

[Hi - Please excuse my ignorance, but I have a question about systems like this SeaClear Sys II RTR. I have not kept a tank for about 15 years (yes, I am old), but I have been considering getting back into the life. After reading about this product, I thought maybe it would be a nice way to...