Q: where is the skimmer in the water flow? - Newby question about tanks

[Hi -

I have been looking at several of the filtering mechanisms available on the market (and considering a DIY option), I have become a little confused about the water flow in a reef system.

Please take pity on my ignorance and clarify/correct my understanding...

Water begins the journey (if you can pick a beginning for a closed loop system) by being skimmed from the top of the tank (using an overflow).

There is a mechanical filter (sponge) in the overflow box before the flow is deposited on the top of a trickle filter (with some high surface area media). This water can then be deposited in a sump area. Water in this area can be run through either a pump for return to the tank or go through a skimmer (where the cleansed water is deposited back in the same sump area).

I realize there are many options based upon the type of filtering, chilling, or heating.

I guess my basic question is that do you run ALL the water through a skimmer BEFORE a trickle filter? Or can you run it from the sump (return) area of a wet/dry filter?

Thanks for taking a few moments to set me straight.]

[Ziggy,

You can run your skimmer on the tank (if it hangs on the back), or in a sump. Most reef tanks don't use a wet/dry system for filtration, because the bioballs are a nitrate factory.

Nitrates are harmful on corals and invertebrates, and we all do our best to keep these as low as possible. 20ppm is the maximum safe level, but there are people that have 0-5ppm.

The water can drain out of a tank if it has been drilled, or with an overflow box. I do not recommend any type of sponge filtration on the drain because this again will create nitrates.

The water flows to the sump (and/or refugium) and then is sent back up to the tank.

Here's a good page about what a sump is.]

[Ziggy,
I live in Allen and have a 120rr with all the things you need to grow any coral you want. I am getting ready too move to a new house in Lucas and I am going to move everything to a bigger tank. I am going to be around this week if you want to stop by and look at the setup. You are certainly welcome to come by and see it for yourself. That way you will see what you are getting into and can see how it will all turn out. You an email me at rickjbeau@comcast.net]

[???
I certainly do not want to be the perverable fly in the oeintment?(spelling?), but, I have used and am using a 1/3rd rock-2/3 bio ball mix in the first of three chambers,(witch equal 100 gallons?,or so) on one of systems and I see growth of birds @ 4 heads-4x4, in 7 months, frogs at,(2 different main stocks) from three to eight heads+ in 6-7 months, with both stock sets and of course all other corals/sps+lps and other gals/guys @ great growth rates and we are using bio balls.
I am always at 0-5 ppm and I am not seeing any measurable differences at any increased rates. Maybe I have a weard? system. We see rates of corline, very fast, a 6x6 type of rock will get plastered in 3-4-5 weeks and so on.
I keep hearing that bio-balls are out but every other system we se in stores and homes are still using them.
Maybe it is that the DBS at 4-6-8inches is the buffer?
I dunt know?, stumped me on this, but I know LFS and mail houses keep selling these and so there's my two cents worth?
I am just saying that I think there is still some confusshion on this issue and everybodys tanks are so different, also the maintence of these systems, that it should be noted that might be a good use for the bio-balls in some peoples systems.
I think stability and good maintence are key to the growth, and every tank has its different creatures&people that take care in there own and sometimes very unique ways.
Just a coment on this misterious decline of the bio-ball syndrome. :oops:]

[Most people who are doing reefs stay away from bioballs. Fish only, or Fish w/Live Rock are a different story. These type systems have higher fish and feeding loads, so some use bioballs. Most stores still sell whatever people want to buy, good or not. Last but not least there is always an exception to every rule. That is what makes saltwater such a challange.

Glenn]

[:;):
I agree with the challange idea, no guts no glory? is a thought I allways run into. It would seem that there are a infinate number of combinations and if one persons Par is the perfect for all of us, then I think this would be a very dull hobby.
I read an artical that likened this hobby to a bit of witchcraft, a little of this and an eye of nute and stur the pot to see whatcha get, yA HOPE? it is not RTN and then your off.
The deeper the DSB the more great dirty good stuff is in there, and I remember the day the books and mags all said, clean and disturb that bed every week and use those undergravel filters?, yes it was a mess 20yrs ago. Talk about killing the reefs off, Shewwww, I'm glad them days are long gone. :D]

[Well...

That is probably one of my problems. I AM that guy that managed to bump off a lot of corals in days of trying to keep reefs (like try about 15-20 years ago). I gave up out of guilt and embarassment. 20 years later, I was hoping for a more defined approach. I appreciate all the conversation and ideas. My preference is to have a more enjoyable experience this time. I really do love the science and beauty involved with this hobby.

Thanks]