Aquacultured Live Rock

Hi -

I am working on a new tank setup and this is the first time I have set up a new tank in quite a few years. I was thinking of using some aquacultured live rock this time. Has anyone used this vendor: http://www.justliverock.com or someone like them?

What have the experiences been on using this type of live rock?

Thanks for any info...

When I set up my 14 gallon several years ago I got some rock from a vendor very similar to those guys, straight from the keys and pulled from the ocean pretty much to order. I still have that rock in the tank - it was and is super. I can't remember the name of the business for the life of me now. My rock was pretty dense - got like 16 lbs. and it came as 4 rocks.

If you get this kind of rock, be prepared for an incredible amount of life on it - some good and some that maybe you don't want. All kinds of crabs, snails, and definately several pistol shrimp. Maybe a mantis too. I had to deal with several nasty stone and gorilla crabs that kept coming out of the woodwork. Tons of colors of coralline and a lot of macro algae.

I would certainly recommend it, but you might also wanna think about using some dry rock from vendors like Marco rocks or Bulk Reef Supply. I got 50 lbs. of Marco for my 90 gallon and it's great, I just seeded the dry with some Tatoka rock from a local vendor. You'd save a great deal by using some dry and then adding live rock to the system. Especially if you took part in one of our BRS group buys, I bet you'd get a deeper discount on the rock. Worth looking into, IMO.

i would buy marco rocks and then seed it with few live rock pieces

It's generally good stuff. It is dense compared to pacific, but you'll see more life on it typically. You also have the off chance of getting some nice stowaways that you simply could not get otherwise--carribean corals.