Ziggy's 150 Build

Hi -

I realized today that I have had my 75 gallon tank for almost 7 years to the month. The reason I found that interesting is that I was lucky enough to find a used 150 gallon (reef ready) that was in my price range. So I have spent the past few days trying to remember all the problems I had with my original adventure. It was a very unpleasant experience which is why I have not ventured beyond my one and only tank for so many years. I think I only made it through the experience because of the nice folks on this board. Rick , Marc, and Misty...just to name a few. So, as you can imagine, I am entering this new tank build with a bit of a apprehension.

My plan is to migrate all of my current stuff to the new tank (e.g. lights, refugium, skimmer, Tunze, population...well at least some of the population). I have to add a few things like a chiller and some rock/sand. So if you would like to share in the train wreck that always accompanies my plans, please check in occasionally. And if you happen to notice any roadblocks, please feel free to point them out.

Step 1: clean tank (done...sorta...worried about the cloudy glass even after the vinegar scrub). It took 4 of us to turn the tank upside down for complete dousing in the driveway.

Step 2: refinish the stand (since it was a bit darker than the other cabinets). This may take me weeks because I don't know what I am doing :)

Ah, the disaster begins...

Take care...

Hi -

I need help with my drain plumbing...is there someone out there that can help me to quiet this thing down and get rid of the bubbles.

A description:
1" pipes are used to tee into a 1.5".
Then angled thru a couple of 45 degree fittings to reach around the lip of the sump (which is not in place yet)
And then into a reverse durso.

It is quite obvious that I have messed this up, so I am looking for good pics/examples that are quiet and may even allow for a filter sock.

I have attempted to attach pics, but that may not go so well...

Thanks for any pointers...

My best solution for quiet....get rid of all the hard plumbing. Also what are you using for your return pump? Is it pumping to much water for your 2 drains? Clip a micron bag to the side of the sump with a plastic hinged clamp and drain the two overflow drains just below the water line into the micron bag. Make sure that your drain from the left end is sloping down as it gets to the sump. The last time I hard plumbed a tank was in 2003 when I put a tank in my living room....never did that again. I'm sure there might be other options....that's just mine. KISS (Keep it simple stupid)....that's my motto.

Couple of questions:
1) What pump are you using?
- As the previous poster mentioned...you may have to much flow.
2) Are you testing with salt water...or regular water?
- It is my understanding that regular water is much louder running through PVC.

My plumbing was pretty noisy for about 2 weeks. As things slimed over the noice reduced considerably. Please keep this in mind as well.

Can you build a bubble tower? This would allow you a place to put a filter sock (if you wanted one) and/or a place to put liverock rubble for your drain to flow into.

Hi Gang -

1) What pump are you using?
I have a Mag18 plumbed up and the flow in the tank does not seem to be too much.

2) Are you testing with salt water...or regular water?
I am testing with salt water. The "sliming" has not helped in the noise level.

3) Can you build a bubble tower?
Not sure what that is...so I will do some research.

4) Don't use hard plumbing...
Uh oh, that is all that I have is hard plumping. I don't have enough flex to make it from the left side to the right side. Where do can you buy that stuff?

Thanks for responding...I was beginning to think that I posted something offensive :)

I'm off to the workshop (aka super hot garage) to start laying out the hood!!!

Spa Flex can help, but I have hard plumbing everywhere and my set up is quiet enough it doesn't bother anyone in our family room where the TV is. If you want more spa flex, most hardware stores have it......the Lowes by me carries it.

You may have a problem in that your return pump is very big. Most recommend a return pump that supplies you with 4 - 5 times the capicty of your tank.....in your case you would take 150 x 5 = 750 gph (gallons per hour). That Mag 18 has a max output of 1800 gph. I think part of your problem is that you have a lot of water being moved through your sump......creating additional noise. If you had a Mag 9 or even a Mag 12, I think you might see some improvement. Better yet, spring for an Eheim 1260....maybe a 1262. Oh....you get the flow in your display tank by adding powerheads

Check out my build log below. You can see my plumbing and in the 10th picture down....you can see a bubble tower.

viewtopic.php?f=100&t=67117&p=550094#p550094