Q: seaclear sys ii rtr - Newby question about tanks

[Hi -

Please excuse my ignorance, but I have a question about systems like this SeaClear Sys II RTR. I have not kept a tank for about 15 years (yes, I am old), but I have been considering getting back into the life. After reading about this product, I thought maybe it would be a nice way to start up again. I realize that lighting will have to be upgraded, but is this an okay place to start?

I would appreciate your comments and experiences.

Thanks - Zig]

[Hello Zig, and welcome home! :laugh:
I just sold a Sea Clear 20 gallon acrylic aquarium. The reason being - Sea Clear makes their products to fit ONLY their products. Things are not too interchangeable, including lights, due to size differences.
The tank I sold had a lid that was NOT detachable, had holes cut out for lights, filter, and skimmer. But you had to buy Sea Clear lights for the hood. It was hard to find a filter that wasn't SC to fit.
I realize this isn't the model you may be looking at, but do some research, see if lights / filter / skimmer can be any other brand, otherwise you are stuck getting your items from ONE supplier - never a good deal!]

[I would shop around for a good deal on tanks locally. Definately go with a reefready tank if you are remotely considering any corals. Then after you get the tank and stand locally, research what other equipment you want to get and buy it online from a big internet dealer.]

[@kitty32 wrote:
BTW said:
HAHA!!!

No, I am not "THE" Zig Ziglar. My inspirational days are too far gone.

But thanks for the input. I think that I am leaning towards a 58 gal Oceanic "reef-ready" tank. I stopped by Aquatic Design (I think that is the store name) last night. They were very nice to spend an hour with me to talk about options.

I am interested in building the stand/hood myself (i.e. I can use that as an excuse to buy more power tools). And they had a nice example of a design that used one of those tanks.

So, not being the original type...I am going to copy (well almost).

Thanks again for the insight.

See ya - Zig]

[Ahhh...thought the name sounded familiar, my apologies! (Bet that happens often, tho?)

Oceanic is one of the best-known names. The main complaint, though, is the overflow boxes. I'm not sure if anything in the 50's sizes has them, but they are noisy! Good name, though, and warrantied. I've never had a problem with them...anyone else?]

[Very nice tanks, I however use DAS RR tanks, as I do not want to take the time to make the stand look like it should. With that being said, I was given a 34gal Hex Acrylic Sea Clear tank. Wife says must go in the office so will have to build a stand for it. Anyone with a nice tablesaw want to help me cut up some wood :D

Glenn

P.S. Oceanic has the best bulkhead in the business as far as I am concerned. threaded inside and out, much easier to use than slip joints, and you can make a modified Dursa standpipe to quiet them down.]

[Off most of next week so that would be great.

Will give you a call after the 4th.

Thanks,

glenn

P.S. Have a Happy 4th!!]

[Just let me know. It'll give me the excuse to replace my current one a little quicker. :p]