Spiderlight Reflector Mounting

Hi -

I am considering reworking my hood and am considering adding a copule of reflectors for my 2x250W MH system:

Marine Depot link

I can't find any mounting specifications.

Does anyone have the specifications?
How far off the surface?
Mount parallel or perpendicular to the front of the tank?
etc.

Thanks for a pointer...

(link edited by Marc with TinyURL)

Run them perpendicular to your tank. The bulb should be 9 to 12" off the surface of the water. Here's what mine looked like until recently:

lighting.jpg
alt="">

With this method the VHO actinics were not in the way of the MH bulbs, and were down lower near the water (4" from the surface).

One thing I thought about doing many times was to turn the reflector around so the mogul was at the front and the bulb would shine down over the reef and light up the back of the tank as well, but the mogul end would have been an eyesore. I never did try to see if it would make a difference or not.

Thanks Marc -

That picture gives me the inspiration to reconfigure my hood to accommodate that type of reflector.

Once again, I will follow your lead.

Regards - Ziggy

Marc, Have you ever had any problem with splashing water breaking bulbs? If not, are you using anything as a shield?

Yes, I had a few bulbs broken by my rambunctious tangs swimming and splashing the bulbs. I never broke one by splashing it myself. In three years, I replaced 6 I'd guess.

I didn't shield those as SE bulbs don't need it. DE bulbs do to avoid UV radiation burning the livestock.

I hear you. I know a shield is not needed for an SE bulb for the UV, but I was wondering if it might be nice for bulb/fixture safety. Thanks for the reply!

Ted

If it isn't in your way, that's fine. Just make sure that glass is tempered or it will crack in no time. Ask Ryan (Servo).