Search results

1. A

120 gallon w/overflow

Needs a good wash and scrub. Some scratches, not noticeable from across the room but can be annoying up close. For the most part you don't notice them unless you let algae build up and get in them. No lids/canopy/stand or other equipment included.Buck a gallon. Pick-up in Arlington. $120... want...
  2. A

Mystery Eggs???

Last night I was sitting at the table, staring at the tank, and I saw this spherical cluster of tiny, bright, pink balls. I noticed it falling from a saucer dish-sized elephant ear mushroom, so I'm not counting out the possibility that the mushroom could have spit it out, and maybe the coral was...
  3. A

Dwarf Cuttles - Sepia bandensis

Bought some eggs, they got here about 30 minutes ago. One hatchling and several eggs. The hatchling is swimming about and several of the eggs have similarly sized babies inside so I imagine it won't be long before the lone cuttle has company. Pictures soon! This is the nursery I Frankensteined...
  4. A

Our 140 gallon

Since all I ever seem to share is my octopus tanks I'll post a pic of our 140 mixed reef. alt="">
  5. A

Octo-proof lid ideas - help!

I'm going a different route this time, trying to make a lid that isn't ugly. I need help figuring out how I'm going to keep the lid secure and locked down on the top. What I've got is a 23 1/8 x 23 1/8" piece of 1/4 inch acrylic, fits snugly into the grooves of the tank top.
  6. A

Oops... water +wiring

I accidentally got some saltwater on the wiring harness for the VHO's over our 60 cube yesterday. Didn't realize it until I smelt it burning. I shut it off and unplugged it, let it dry. Plugged it in this morning and it works fine... but I don't feel safe using it now. I guess my question is...
  7. A

FC2 socket

I just discovered our 250-watt MH fixture has FC2 sockets. Convenient. :roll: Can anyone suggest good bulbs that are made for FC2?
  8. A

SQWD's

Just got a new setup set up... has 2 SQWD's. Been running with water for about 10 minutes and I have yet to see the SQWD's use the right side, constant flow out of the left side. Pump they're running off of is a Mag 24. Can anyone tell me maybe why they aren't shifting from side to side? This...
  9. A

Grover's got babies

Well, Grover took to a den a couple of weeks ago and I hadn't seen "him" since, so I assumed this was going to be the case. I'd not noticed oversized suckers or a hectocotylus on Grover, so of course this is her fate. Got a small video clip of the babies this morning. Unfortunately I can't...
  10. A

VHO bulbs locally

I need some new 24" VHO T12's... who has 'em? Trying to avoid ordering, shipping, etc.
  11. A

Electrical question

Okay, let's say I'm going to rig up 6 individual systems in one room. All will require power for filtration and lighting of course. There are only 2 outlets in this particular room, both will need to be converted to GFCI. To safely run that much power, what are some suggestions for this scenario?
  12. A

Fingered Dragonet

Anyone have experience keeping Fingered Dragonets? Seems it wouldn't be any different from a Scooter Blenny... just way bigger. I'm thinking about putting one in Layla's pony tank.
  13. A

Interesting octopus behavior

Some sort of mimicry. Looks like a hermit crab impression. alt=""> Abdopus species are neat. Grover's totally different from Kalypso.
  14. A

New 8 armed resident

alt=""> alt=""> This is Grover. "He" (don't know for sure yet) is an Abdopus aculeatus aka "Bi-Pedal" Octopus. As of yesterday he is the new occupant of a 60 gallon cube set up across the room from Kalypso. Settled right in and took to foraging through the rocks right away. He hasn't touched...
  15. A

Feeding Kalypso

This is a fairly typical feeding session with Kalypso. She shows great interest in my fingers. Probably wants to know what they taste like. I'm offering her clam on a half shell. alt="">
  16. A

Escape from the tank

Kalypso has been very seriously trying to find a way out of the tank lately. alt=""> The smudges on the top left corners of the photos are from her reaching over the side while I had the screen unstrapped from the top. She almost made it out last night. I was feeding her and she decided to...
  17. A

Octo-proof lid

Okay, some of you have asked to see what my top looks like and I've kept putting off getting some. So here they are. Note I approached this as "Function before fashion". alt=""> alt=""> I've placed a 48" strip of velcro tape along the front of the tank to discourage her from climbing out...
  18. A

Octopus

Rearranged some powerheads in the tank earlier. I think it offended Kalypso. alt=""> alt=""> alt=""> alt=""> alt="">
  19. A

Peppermint ate Galaxia

I bought a frag of Galaxia and a frag of red Chalice last week. Galazia was nice and bright green, feeders extending nicely, no sign of problems. I found the Chalice with barely any flesh left on it a few days later. Then the next morning before the lights came on I noticed a peppermint shrimp...
  20. A

Shrimp parasite?

Can anyone ID this? alt=""> It's a shore shrimp, feeder for my octopus. The white lump on its side appears to have black legs that are hooked into the shrimp. Looks basically like a white tick. About the size of a pea.