Peppermint ate Galaxia

Animal Mother

Membership Expired
I bought a frag of Galaxia and a frag of red Chalice last week. Galazia was nice and bright green, feeders extending nicely, no sign of problems. I found the Chalice with barely any flesh left on it a few days later. Then the next morning before the lights came on I noticed a peppermint shrimp on the Galaxia, picking it clean. There are still a few tentacles left on the skeleton, but it's mostly bare now.

Water checks out okay, everything else appears fine. The tank doesn't get fed much, as we have moved most of the fish out with exception to a yellow Coris Wrasse (too hard to catch!) a Mandarin, and a Blue-stripe Pipefish.

So I'm wondering, since food might be scarce for the peppermint, is it common for them to help themselves to corals?

i heard of camelback shrimp eating corals not peppermint shrimp. my experience are that peppermint shrimp are reef safe but ithrow a few pellets for shrimps and crabs when the lights are off

Yeah, this is a first for me too as far as peppermints munching on coral. I avoid the camelbacks specifically because of this. I'm gonna catch the peppermints and move them with the other fish but I just wanted to see if anyone else has had this happen or maybe there was some other reason I'm not seeing for the demise of the coral and maybe the peppermint just took advantage.

I bought a nice piece of branching hammer from DNA, brought it home, found a nice spot for it in the rockwork, and sat back to see if the placment was right...

IN FRONT OF MY EYES.... A pepp climed around front, picked a branch and started its multi-legged chop on the tissue! In reaction i tapped the glass and he disappeared- for a moment. Within seconds he was back on the flesh and took it out. I havent seen any other attacks, so maybe he was taste-testing...

Dale i think your coral killer pep shrimp needs to meet mr octopus :twisted:

@BigJay wrote:
[I]@kuyatwo wrote:[/I][quote="Dale i think your coral killer pep shrimp needs to meet mr octopus :twisted: said:
Take a video and post it!"]

Well... I like that idea. But the shrimp is technically Layla's and it's moving into her 140 soon. I'll let it be her problem. Maybe it will meet Mr. Pistol Shrimp in that tank. Pretty sure there's a small species of mantis shrimp in the 60 with it right now, surprised it hasn't met its doom already. 99% of the snails seem to have.

I had to ditch 3 peps I had in my tank as well becuse they started eating my open brain alive. A buddy said they were eating the brain because the brain was dying. I disagree. As soon as I took the peps out the brain fully recovered.