Grover's got babies

Animal Mother

Membership Expired
Well, Grover took to a den a couple of weeks ago and I hadn't seen "him" since, so I assumed this was going to be the case. I'd not noticed oversized suckers or a hectocotylus on Grover, so of course this is her fate.

Got a small video clip of the babies this morning. Unfortunately I can't document it too much on film, Alayna's headed to San Fran this morning so she's taking her camera.

I am going to try to raise them, but these guys are like gnat sized octopuses, tiny transparent squid-looking critters.

Not ALL species of octopus, but the majority. There's a dwarf "zebra" octopus O. chierchia that lays eggs, goes on about its business, mates again, lays eggs... can repeat the cycle a few times before it expires. I think the main thing is that they don't seem to ever give up their appetite while they're brooding, while most other species do.

But yeah, Grover's bound to die soon. If I'm lucky she'll come out and go about her old hunting, exploring routine for a few days before kicking the bucket.

If anyone has any rotifers ready or otherwise planktonic type foods they could part with I have money. I'd like to put some effort into rearing a few, but it's very unlikely to be successful. I'm going to put some into some 1 gallon round jugs Layla got for rearing baby seahorses and set them up with an air hose for circulation.

good luck, hope you are able to be successful! several on here who have stocks of food, id post in the open forum tot ry and get attention if you really want to raise them. sorry she wont make it.

Might give Dane at Rift to Reef a call ((972) 317-2341.

He has the 'S' strain in stock (in bags, but they will breed pretty quickly if you set up a 5 G bucket with DTs or the nano stuff Dane sells (dose the bucket to a very light green color).

Probably need one bag of rotifers to feed tonight and another to set up the brood bucket. Not inexpensive, but may be your best option for now.

We have the larger 'L' strain I can crank up and offer in a couple of days.