Recent content by the3dwizard

1. T

Switching from MH to T5

So has anyone switched from MH to T5 on a SPS dominated tank? If so what have your experiences been? I am thinking about replacing my 2 x 250 W MH.
  2. T

How to: Calculate exhaust fan sizes

I posted this at ReefCentral but thought I would post here too. I have been using fans in my hood to exhaust the heat from the metal halides to the outside. Decided that I wanted to upgrade to an external fan on the outside of the wall to pull more air through the hood as well reduce noise in...
  3. T

Do you prune the hedges?

So I kind of let the tank go unchecked and now I have this basketball size tri-color in my tank. I look at pictures on the web and see what looks like well manicured tanks. So my question is do you prune on a regular basis to keep your SPS growth in check? Thinking of maybe changing from 10K...
  4. T

Neptune Sys

Any local dealers sell Neptune Systems? Thanks,
  5. T

Scolymia Feeding

Decided to breakout the camera. Trying to improve my photo technique. Decided to get photos of the scolymia feeding because I think it is cool. Thought others might be interested.
  6. T

Easy Blade - Review

Have you ever bought something and said "I wish I had bought this sooner" or "I wish I had thought of this"? Well the other day I bought an Easy Blade for cleaning my tank and just have to share my experience with it. Some of you may know I have a 180g tank that acts as a room divider. So...
  7. T

Superman Monti's

I noticed in the group buy thread that some had bought some of the superman montis from fraggle reef. Just wondering what conditions (hi, low, or bottom of the tank, type of light, flow, etc.), everyone was keeping them in and if they colored up for them?
  8. T

New Acquisitions

Well had some extra money, could either get some new corals, (it has been awhile), or put it into the kids' college fund. I guess they can go to a state school :wink: These are from Saltwater Paradise's sale this past weeked. The cluster will hopefully color up to a blue, but I thought the...
  9. T

My 180g reef - Build thread

[Hey I have a new toy, have to share it with someone! The canopy, stand and tank came through Saltwater Paradise. I wanted to be able to access the tank from both sides, as the tank will separate the kitchen from the family room. So talking to the carpenter we came up with a gull wing design...
  10. T

Bit for drilling acrylic? - Dremel or router

[Need to drill a hole for a 2" bulkhead in an acrylic sump. Wondering what type of bit to use? Either for a dremel tool or router.]
  11. T

Plumbing advice - End flow 180

[In the process of upgrading to a 180 gal. tank. The Tank will have one overflow at one end as this tank will be acting as a room divider. The overflow has two 1" and two 3/4" bulkheads. I plan to have the LR run down the middle so I can place corals on either side. Up hi will be SPS and LPS...
  12. T

Lighting advice

[Decided to upgrade to a 180, (72x24x24) yeah! However, I now have the task of deciding upon lighting. Hopefully I can get some advice from thoses who have gone through this. Currently I have 440 W of VHO over my 105 with SPS and LPS. The new tank will be acting as a room divider. It will...
  13. T

Scwd - Still like them?

[One of MarineDepot's newsletter specials is a SCWD for $29.21 (25% off) so I am tempted to build one. Question, is this a good price? Also, I know several on this forum have built closed loops and just wonder if you still like them?]
  14. T

Cynarina - For cindy

[I didn't want to highjack the feeding brain thread, but in it Cindy asked about my cynarina. So here is my red cynarina. The one in the LFS (Saltwater Solutions) was much bigger (fully expanded the mantel was ~10"). This is a single polyp coral and the mantel can expand alot. It has a...
  15. T

Ricordia - Best place to buy?

[Thinking about getting some ricordia. Wonder what people think of them. Some seem pretty expensive so where is the best place to buy them either local or on-line?] Edited By the3dwizard on 1097872280