Scwd - Still like them?

[One of MarineDepot's newsletter specials is a SCWD for $29.21 (25% off) so I am tempted to build one. Question, is this a good price? Also, I know several on this forum have built closed loops and just wonder if you still like them?]

[If I knew what I know now before I spent $60 on scwd's I would of put the money twords an OM.

SCWD adds a bit of back pressure, switches to fast with any real GPH, and has 3/4" fittings. The OM has 1.5" fittings and doesn't add the back pressure that a scwd does, and gives you a lot more options for how you set it up.

Other then that the scwd seems to work fine, though they can get gunked up in the gears inside it, where as an OM can be taken apart and cleaned if needed.]

[I have been thinking about getting a SCWD, but was concerned about the back pressure. I have a pretty fine balance between my pump and overflow now, and haven't seen any numbers as far as % decrease in flow by using one.]

[You can find the flow loss data on the 3iQ site: http://www.3iqventures.com/literature.html

If you make a closed loop then you don't have to worry about your overflow. See the one on Marc's site.]

Edited By the3dwizard on 1098498519

[It's 4 or 8 way water flow switcher. Think of a SCWD with more ports. They are motor driven so they switch at a consistent speed unlike the SCWD which switches faster the larger you pump is. The SCWD is cheaper and requires no electricty, only water flow, to work. You can find out more about the OMs at

oceansmotions.com

I currently have a SCWD with a Mag9.5 on a closed loop for my 29G. It gives an OK amount of flow. I still wouldn't mind having more flow in the tank though. For the price it is worth it. However I am planning my 120G right now and am considering an OM for it since it gives more options for a larger tank. The OM Squirt which is fairly inexpensive can handle up to about 1000GPH OK (I think it locks up at 13000GPH). I remember reading that the OM 4-way can handle something like 7000GPH. Anyway you can findout more on that site.]

[I've been using a SCWD for over a year now. I have it on a Mag9. Switches every 6/8 seconds. Closed loop/tank not drilled.

WORKS GREAT! :)

I donno about the back pressure BS people are talking about, it does reduce your flow due to the worm-drive it uses. Again, it works great, stop being a reef dork and use it!

I've had snials/crabs get sucked into and passed through it. I've never cleaned it. The only issue is that you have to use flex hose to attach it. Next time I install/re-install one I will sand off the barb and glue the PVC pipe directly to the SCWD. It's all good, makes your corals REAL HAPPY!]