Easy Blade - Review

Have you ever bought something and said "I wish I had bought this sooner" or "I wish I had thought of this"? Well the other day I bought an Easy Blade for cleaning my tank and just have to share my experience with it.

Some of you may know I have a 180g tank that acts as a room divider. So when things are going well I get good coralline algae growth, however I have to clean three sides of the tank. This has always been a pain with a regular bladed scrapper. Further I am always afraid of really attacking the corners because I am afraid of messing up the silicone. Thus the corners tend to go uncleaned, plus they are hard to get too. So while surfing the other day I found something that looked promising. It was an Easy Blade that I picked up from marine depot. There may be other brands or designs but this is the one I am writing about:

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=AF1311

As per the instructions I attached it to a magnet using super glue. In about 15 mins I was ready to go. The blade can be retracted for regular algae use. However, green glass algae was not what I was after. So I extended the blade and put it in my tank. Here is a picture of it in my tank after eating some coralline algae.

IMG_1530s.JPG
alt="">

I then went to work on this corner.

IMG_1533s.JPG
alt="">

Within about five minutes it was clean!

IMG_1534s.JPG
alt="">

I was doing the happy dance! This was so much easier than using the old method. I was surprised how easily the coralline algae came off. This is the best 12.95 that I have spent in this hobby so far :lol:

I give it two thumbs up !

I just wish one was available that didn't take special blades. I'd rather use my own razor blades, but don't have the time or motivation for a DIY like quantam7's.

Hey Tony, I was so happy that it worked as long as the blades aren't made of gold I am happy. BTW I got a couple of frags of my A. humilis the other day :)

Ive been singing its praises for a while...Also, im sure I can find a "close enough" blade at Lowes or something.

What I do is break out the o'l sharpening stone. 1 blade will last me a looooonnnngggg time :wink:

Shoot, Ive got a punch press in my shop. I bet I could modify a hundred standard stanley blades to fit this bad boy in about 10 minutes. Ill order one ane keep you posted.

I purchased one of these but I haven't mounted it. I have 3/4 inch glass and magfloats. I am concerned that the magnets aren't strong enough to give the blade enough strenght. I am waiting to pay way too much money for a stronger magnet. I have a problem about spending more than $50 dollars for a magnet!

Thanks for the review!!!!

I have been using mine for a while now and love it, except you cannot leave magnet in tank for any extended amount of time as you can without blade/scraper installed. Blade will rust in a matter of hours if left in and overnight is really bad...only one experience is all it takes!! Always rinse and dry blade after use too, it will last much longer. Otherwise I have no complaints.