Lighting advice

[Decided to upgrade to a 180, (72x24x24) yeah! However, I now have the task of deciding upon lighting. Hopefully I can get some advice from thoses who have gone through this.

Currently I have 440 W of VHO over my 105 with SPS and LPS. The new tank will be acting as a room divider. It will have the overflow at one end. The rock work will go down the middle so I can have LPS on both sides and I would like to get more SPS which will be up on the LR.

So to the light options. One, I thought of having 4 140w VHO's and three 175w MH (1085 w total). With 1 actinic and 1 actinic sun on each side and the MH down the middle. The plus here is I can make use of the two ballasts I have for a three stage sunrise/sunset.

The other option is to have 2 140 VHO with 250w MH (1030 w total). With 1 actinic on each side and the MH down the middle.

Any thoughts on the configurations? Other options?]

[You asked so here it is. Since you have the 440 ballast already, I would use 4-4' 110 watt vho actinics to make use of the entire output of the ballast. Stagger the 4 bulbs from each end and let them over lap in the middle. Then go with 3- 250 watt bulbs, I would use Ushio 10ks but that would be of course when I was buying them. Turn the actinic on for 12 hours, turn the halides on 1 hour after and turn them off 1 hour before. That lighting will allow you to keep anything you want, as far as photosynthesis goes.]

Edited By Rick on 1106763467

[I agree with Rick basically.

However, you might find that two 6' actinic VHO bulbs and 3 x 250w MH 10,000K would be enough.]

[I would have said 2- 6' vho bulbs. But he is talking about the same length tank as I have, 6' long. And I know the longest bulbs I can use are 5', because with endcaps they take up 61". You have to think about the actual length of the canopy and any doors you have and how they open, when you consider the bulb length.]

Edited By Rick on 1106781992

[Yep, that is why I thought of the 5' VHO's. Plus with the overflow at one end I don't really need the whole 6'. I have two of the icecap ballasts and was thinking about using them both. But if I just go with two VHO's then I guess I can sell the other. It looks like a lot of other people have good results with the 3 250w MH's and a couple actinics so I am leaning that way. Thanks guys.]